Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.5k Members

Drinking on Anti-Depressants

I'm a 28 year old woman and I have been taking medication for OCD since I was 11 years old.  I've taken all kinds of medications, from Tricyclic to SSRI's to SNRI's.  I do drink alcohol pretty much every weekend.  Are some medications worse to drink with than others?  Specifically, I am about to start taking Cymbalta and want to know the dangers of drinking on it.  I have already tried Effexor and was on it for over a year.  What are the dangers of drinking on Effexor?  Thank you so much!
1 Responses
309783 tn?1271961829
Hi. I too struggled to find specific information regarding drinking whilst on Effexor. The enclosed leaflet read "Avoid alcohol" without explanation.
From what I understand, alcohol may increase some of the potential side effects of this drug such as nausea, drowsiness, abnormal dreams, clumsiness, disorientation, rapid heart beat etc.
My boyfriend is the manager of a nightclub. I occasionally drank a small amount of alcohol whilst on a low dose of Effexor (37.5mg daily) without problems. Although it should be noted that I wasn't experiencing any side effects anyway, except for slight constipation.
Eloise.
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.