Depression Community

Effexor XR

How long does it take for Effexor XR to totally leave the system?  I know the half life is supposedly 3-4 days.  When will ALL withdrawal side-effects be gone?

I  just read your question and was disappointed that you never received a reply.  Did you ever find out the answer?   I've noticed that I have stomache problems if I just miss one dose.  I'd like to know what to expect if I go off Effexor XR completly.  
Some mornings I wake up feeling "tingley"  I have to get up to take my effexor xr just to feel normal.  I had a Doctor once gasp when he heard that I had been on the drug 2 yrs, he said the withdrawl was hell.  I had been on Paxil, and that was hard to get off of, he says effexor xr is worse............
Hi there,

I was on Effexor XR 150mg for a couple months only.  It did nothing for me and actually brought back a lot of my anxiety symptoms.  The only drug that works for me, for anxiety/OCD issues is Zoloft.  I went off effexor in a matter of 5 days and the withdrawal was the worst I have ever experienced.   I have a pretty resilient body though and medicine, etc moves through me pretty quickly.  I would say that my withdrawal lasted 2 weeks while it was REALLY bad.  Now, I have some symptoms, but they arent nearly as bad as before.  If you have a body that metabolizes things faster, you are going to be ok.  It wont take months to get it out like it seems to take others.  But, if you dont have a body that metabolizes medication, etc. very well, you might have to take longer. I switched doctors I was so angry that she never told me about the withdrawal.  I actually don't think she knew about it which shows what kind of doctor I was seeing (family practice).  I would never trust a regular doctor to prescribe depression medication to me ever again.  Good luck!
As for when the withdrawl or "discontinuation syndrome" will go away, It kind on a few factors.
1. How long did you take Effexor XR
2. what dosage were you on
3. The persons individual biology

I know people that got past withdrawl in as fast as 2 weeks and i know people in which it took 2 months. It took me about 6 weeks, but I was also taking 300mgs a day. Everyone is different in that effect.

To lessen the effects have a good taper down program in place. It won't eliminate the withdrawl, but will help make it easier.