Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.5k Members

Effexor XR

How long does it take for Effexor XR to totally leave the system?  I know the half life is supposedly 3-4 days.  When will ALL withdrawal side-effects be gone?

4 Responses
I  just read your question and was disappointed that you never received a reply.  Did you ever find out the answer?   I've noticed that I have stomache problems if I just miss one dose.  I'd like to know what to expect if I go off Effexor XR completly.  
Some mornings I wake up feeling "tingley"  I have to get up to take my effexor xr just to feel normal.  I had a Doctor once gasp when he heard that I had been on the drug 2 yrs, he said the withdrawl was hell.  I had been on Paxil, and that was hard to get off of, he says effexor xr is worse............
Hi there,

I was on Effexor XR 150mg for a couple months only.  It did nothing for me and actually brought back a lot of my anxiety symptoms.  The only drug that works for me, for anxiety/OCD issues is Zoloft.  I went off effexor in a matter of 5 days and the withdrawal was the worst I have ever experienced.   I have a pretty resilient body though and medicine, etc moves through me pretty quickly.  I would say that my withdrawal lasted 2 weeks while it was REALLY bad.  Now, I have some symptoms, but they arent nearly as bad as before.  If you have a body that metabolizes things faster, you are going to be ok.  It wont take months to get it out like it seems to take others.  But, if you dont have a body that metabolizes medication, etc. very well, you might have to take longer. I switched doctors I was so angry that she never told me about the withdrawal.  I actually don't think she knew about it which shows what kind of doctor I was seeing (family practice).  I would never trust a regular doctor to prescribe depression medication to me ever again.  Good luck!
As for when the withdrawl or "discontinuation syndrome" will go away, It kind on a few factors.
1. How long did you take Effexor XR
2. what dosage were you on
3. The persons individual biology

I know people that got past withdrawl in as fast as 2 weeks and i know people in which it took 2 months. It took me about 6 weeks, but I was also taking 300mgs a day. Everyone is different in that effect.

To lessen the effects have a good taper down program in place. It won't eliminate the withdrawl, but will help make it easier.
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.