I'm depressed along with having anxiety but don't want to take anti-depressant

Hello everyone, I just realized that I was depressed which lead to anxiety. My case it mild; however I am worry it will get worst if I don't go on medication. My doctor prescribed zoloft to me however I am scared of taking the medication and still hesitated to do so. When I feel fine I don't want to take it and think I will go thru this without medication, but when I am feeling down and lonely I feel I need this medication. Has anyone every debate between both? I read so many negative result with taking anti-depressant medication and worried that I will have to be on it for a long time. I don't want to depend on medication to be happy. Did anyone experience depression and anxiety and got through it without medication?
every one at some time in life can get depressed also haave anxeity but you do not say if you know the reason you have these 2 symtoms if you know why then work through it to find a solution, if you cant then go to dr yes i have had these but i knew the reaso and was able to work through it dont let it drag you down, but then if you feel like you need professional help get it         lots luck  jo
I began taking Lexapro recently; it is for anxiety and depression.  I have found that at the 10mg dose that I had no side effects, but after three months of use (I had to go up in dose.) I began to feel better.  It might work faster for you since you have a mild case.  I think it is one of the better antidepressants.  If you are against medication, try to exercise on the days you feel bad as well as on the good days--and remember to eat a healthy diet. Exercise is a great mood enhancer.

Don't believe everything the drug companies or even what your doctor tells you as h/she is typically influenced by the drug companies and suffer from "publication bias":

Publication bias means that a study that shows that a drug works is way more likely to get published than a study that shows that a drug is ineffective, as was emphatically underlined in a recent New England Journal of Medicine report on studies about anti-depressant drugs.

This report showed that of 74 studies looking at anti-depressants, 37 of the 38 studies that showed the drugs worked were published (and needless to add, the results were all hyped to doctors, to the public, and to the media), but of the 36 studies that showed that anti-depressant drugs may not be that much more effective than placebo, most went unpublished and of those “negative” studies that were published, the results were “interpreted” to show some sort of benefit for the drug thus clearly undermining the overall negative results about the medication being studied.

Common sense bottom line: many drugs work and they can help you get better, but hey, for most chronic condition, if there’s some other way to get better that is under your control and that does not involve the use of foreign substances, why not try that either first, or at the very least, why not try that mode of therapy along with a drug rather than just relying on the drug as the first choice be-all and end-all of getting better?
I must tell you I understand your frustration. I to have depression along with anxiety, and will not take any medication. Mine is alittle more than a mild case.There was times I felt like ending everything. I get so depressed sometimes I cannot even do my job right. My thinking gets  fuzzy , I cry alot and do not want to be around people. This is ruining my life. I do not understand why I am this way. People say well go get help. Well talking to some shrink is not going to help me either because I do not trust to many people. Taking a medication is just a way for people to put money in there pocket by marketing such stuff for depresion, not to mention the side effects that taking this junk brings upon people.While I do feel that there is alot of good medical help out there for certain conditions, popping pills is not the answer. There has to be a reason certain people get so depressed. What make this happen to us. These are  questions that need to be anwered. Oh yeh aint got no seratonin in my brain, thats why Im depressed. Give me a break. How the heck do they know this is one of the reasons. They dont know thats just it. So I guess what Im trying to say is pleae dont take that junk. Your mind  is a powerful part of you that you can control, you just need to tell yourself that you can and will live a happy life. I had to do this to get better . I still get depressed but not as much, and I do not use any meds. Good luck to you.
lack of seritonin is one of the reasons for depression. the meds and therapy  can make a tremendous difference in your life.         both of you obviously want help but you dont want to do what is needed for the help. you dont have to suffer with depression.I take celexa and zyprexa for bi polar .I dont have side effects and I lead a very normal like minus the depression and manic.I have been suicidal but with my meds and therapy I have beat bi polar  and you 2 can beat this too. you have to wnat to get better  get the help you need.
Love Venora
Please be weary about what you read.  It's often a biased opinion.  You have to weigh it out: are the side effects of the medication worse than the side effects of living a life with depression/anxiety?  Quality of life is very important.  People often misunderstand depression as something that they can control - you can't - it's lack of a vital chemical, seratonin.  I was exactly like you until I educated myself on depression.  I hated living my life the way that I was.  Zoloft is one of the mildest medications out there for depression and is safe to take for the long-term if need be.  When taken correcty - meaning weaning on and off properly, you should be fine.  ALL medications have side effects - depression is just as debilitating as Diabetes or Cancer.  When I was pregnant, I asked my doctor to wean me off of the Zoloft, just during my pregnancy.  My doctor felt o.k. with that, as he said there aren't any known side effects of Zoloft during pregnancy, but he also stated that it hadn't really been studied.  Maybe I'm comfortable with it, because I have a doctor who's heart is into treading his patients.  Anyways, he said that a 1/2 hour of cardio was equal to 50 mg of Zoloft (meaning it increases your seratonin to that level).  So, while pregnant, I took up exercising and it did make a difference.  So, that's an alternative, if you truly are against meds.  Good luck!
There is no test that can determine the level of seretonin in the brain. In fact, for the large part, psychiatry ie. diagnosing behavior or mood disorders is very subjective.
Yes, there is actually a test.  It's a blood test that tests for 5- hydroxytryptamine a.k.a. seratonin and it's in your platelets.  Depression that is thought to be a chemical imbalance is usually associated with low seratonin levels.  To some degree, I agree that psychiatry is subjective, however, that is why we have trained physicians making that decision.  Just like any other medical conditions, a doctor takes all of the facts, often without tests many times, and makes a diagnosis.  
When i first starting meds for my depression it was zolaft my depression got worse. IF i was you i would go back to the doctor a ask for something else. The side effect of zolaft is bad. But thats my opinion.Now im on something that helps lamictal.
so what would you suggest we do do for our depression and other mental disorders?
love Venora

You are reading content posted in the Depression Community