Depression Community

I've quit taking Cymbalta

at 30 mg, I didn't feel much.  It made me somewhat mellow, but that's about it.  Oh, and weight gain.

I heard Zoloft is the most prescribed SSRI, and a recent study of all 12 major anti-depressants concluded that Zoloft was most effective.  Does Zoloft cause weight gain?

I already take Wellbutrin because a) it has helped me quit smoking cigarettes, and b) helps control my appetite, and c) there aren't sexual side-effects.

Most of the drugs in that category do increase the odds of weight gain, but it's because you have more urges to eat not the drug just inceases your weight.. Here is the list I found on what works the best vs. the most tolerated drugs - not necessarily better drugs. It was printed in The Lancet, one of the most respected medical journals.

Weighing systematically the evidence available on both efficacy and tolerability, the authors suggest that sertraline and escitalopram "might" be appropriate first-choice treatments. ( source,The Lancet)

Efficacy:
1. Mirtazapine (Remeron)
2. Escitalopram (Lexapro)
3.Venlafaxine (Effexor)
4. Sertraline (Zoloft)
5.Citalopram (Celexa)
6. Buproprion (Wellbutrin)
7. Paroxetine (Paxil)
8. Milnacipran (Savella)
9. Fluoxetine (Prozac)
10. Duloxetine (Cymbalta)
11. Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
12. Reboxetine (Vestra)

Acceptability:
1. Sertraline (Zoloft)
2. Escitalopram (Lexapro)
3. Buproprion (Wellbutrin)
4.Citalopram (Celexa)
5.Fluoxetine (Prozac)
6. Milnacipran (Savella)
7. Mirtazapine (Remeron)
8. Venlafaxine (Effexor)
9. Paroxetine (Paxil)
10. Duloxetine (Cymbalta)
11. Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
12. Reboxetine (Vestra)

would just interject, what works for one, doesn't for another - so even though this grand compilation of different studies shows the top drugs, it doesn't mean it's the end all be all. I did fairly well with Luvox for years, then was on Zoloft, which was on for 4 - I did gain weight, but it's because I had urges to binge. I'm on a medication in the mood stabilizer category and my urges to eat have dropped down dramatically since my depression is fairly stable (minus pms ugh) .

If you want any further information that may be helpful for you, that's what I'm here for :)

LeftCoastChick
Depression Community Leader

You really need to speak with a psychiatrist if you've been on more then one drug and the last did nothing for you. Like I said, there are far more drugs then just these that can assist you , especially since you are worried about weight gain. I hope this list helps you, print it out when you see your Pdoc.