Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.5k Members

Lexapro and weight

Has anyone managed to stay on Lexapro and lose weight? I took it several years ago and felt better than I ever had in my life- until I stepped on the scale! Went from a size 8 to a 22 in a few months!!! There were other lifestyle changes at the time and I had recently lost a lot of weight, but still this seemed dramatic enough to stop taking it.

I lost a lot of weight after stopping, but nothing else has been as effective at treating my depression and anxiety.

Any suggestions?
1 Responses
480448 tn?1426952138
Hi there!  

These kinds of medications definitely can cause either weight loss or weight gain in some people.  Your weight gain was pretty dramatic, so like you said, I'm sure the Lexapro was only one factor.  

Let me ask you this, have you TRIED any other medications?  If not, I would recommend that you do that first.  Zoloft would be one that I would personally recommend asking your doc about.  Like Lexapro, many people have great success on it, and it's easily tolerated by most people.  In my experience also, it seems that it's pretty common that a lot of people either experience a bit of weight loss on the Zoloft, or at least weight maintenance.  You'll never know how you'll react until you try these meds.

That would be my advice, if you haven't tried anything else, then ask your doc for some recommendations.  Good luck, update us when you can!
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.