Depression Community

Low cognition

Hello, I am 29 years old from Europe, male, have been in ambulant psychiatrical treatment for several months, taking 225mg Effexor. But since it is not working, the Doc has prescribed me 15mg Mirtazapine, which I will take from next week on.

Thing is, I have no energy, I have no focus, no concentration, no motivation, no discipline, worsening (short+long) memory. I am pretty much in a vegetative state.
But what else could be done besides trying out medication? I know there are no magic pills, unfortunately.

I am a loser, I have been wasting my life ever since I can remember. I have always been dumb and weak, fully realized it at the end of highschool.

My biggest fear nowadays is my ever declining intelligence, and cognition in general. As you know, it wasn't good to begin with. My psychiatrist just tells me that it will come back once the depression eases off, but I don't believe it.
I need to do something now.

Is it even possible to increase, improve it? Please link some articles on it.

Most probably I am going to a psychiatry, but I don't want to go if all I do there would be testing different pills and otherwise doing nothing.

I want help, I want to improve my cognition, otherwise it is all senseless, even if I got some energy back.
I have no education, my language skills (especially when spoken) are on a low level.
If I want to still have some hope for a future, I need a better cognition.

If this is not possible, it's simply unecessary to further go to a psychiatrist or pay visit to a psychotherapist who just tell you that everything is going to be allright.

I am willing even to be a testsubject.