Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.5k Members

Medication

I've been wanting to come off of both of my Meds, Celexa for depression and Depacote for a mood disorder, but every time I do, my symptoms come back really bad. I throw tantrums, cry non-stop, and have thoughts of suicide and homicide. Any suggestions as what to do. Information about me: I'm 15 (16 in October), 5' 9 1/2", and weigh 175.
3 Responses
why did you want to come off your meds?
I mean its never fun being on meds but i know that i need them.
If i go off certain meds that i count on to keep me regulated i always go down a spiral to darkness.
Do you have a therapist or a dr you could talk to about this? Did you chose to go off them without ur drs consent?
hang in there
480448 tn?1426952138
I second the above, no one LIKES to be on medications, but sometimes it's necessary.  If you were a diabetic and had to take insulin, then you would likely accept it, right?  This is no different.

Obviously, if your medications keep you from having suicidal or homicidal thoughts, staying on the meds is a no brainer.  Those are significant side effects of your disorders that absolutely need to be properly managed, would you agree?

If you are having a problem with one of the meds, like side effects for example, then keep the lines of communication open with your doctor.  If it is an issue with how you're tolerating the medications, there are often options that don't have to resort to discontinuing your entire medication regimen.

Do you see a therapist also?  I cannot stress how important that is, along with medication.  Also, be sure that the doctor prescribing your medication is a child/adolescent psychiatrist.  There are a lot of special considerations with non-adults and psych medications.

Best to you, keep us posted on how you're doing okay?
I don't want to feel like the Meds are what keeps me running. I want to be able to live without them. Honestly, I've gotten to the point that if I died or did kill myself, I'd be okay with it. I don't want to be alive, but I stay alive for one reason. My nephew and hopefully my own children.
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.