Depression Community

Prozac and Hives

My wife (56 years old) has been on prozac (10-20mg/day) for depression for many years.  She has had progressively worsening hives for the last few years.  I just read that if a person develops hives, prozac should be stopped immediately.  My question is what would be a recommended medicine to replace prozac with that would not cause hives.  
Prozac should be stopped immediately if you get hives as soon as you start taking it (in the first couple of weeks). It can be a sign of a rare but serious allergic reaction called Steven's Johnson Syndrome.
Allergy to prozac is very unlikely after taking it for years. I would suspect she is having an allergic reaction to something else. She should contact her Dr.