Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.6k Members
10040761 tn?1407685291

Seasonal Affective Disorder and Clinical/Major Depression?

Hi all,
I'm a 17-year-old living in New Zealand, and 3 years ago I was diagnosed with clinical/major depression. Around the same time I came down with depression, I also started suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but this was not recognised or diagnosed until late last year.

Every year, around April/May (which is autumn here), my symptoms seem to worsen a great deal. I get more and more ill, until by the end of June, I am fortunate if I can make it to school at all. The winter months are always the hardest in the year, and during the summer months I seem to get better. Although I still suffer greatly during the summer months, I am worse off in winter.

I was discussing this with my counsellor today, and she proposed that perhaps I could be suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder. But, from what I know of SAD, the symptoms go away in the summer months (for those who suffer during the winter), whereas this is not the case for me. So my question is, is it possible to have SAD and still be depressed during the summer, or is it clearly a seasonal thing only? Is it possible to have clinical depression AND Seasonal Affective Disorder, or is it one or the other?

Thanks for your time :)
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.