Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.5k Members

Weight gain after taking Lexapro

I had been on Lexapro (20 mg.) for over a year and gained 21 pounds.  My doctor said weight gain isn't usually a symptom, but since I was overweight to begin with, I weaned myself off slowly.  I have been off the medication for almost 2 weeks and am stil gaining weight ie., 5 pounds in two weeks!  I really need some advice.  Does metabolism take awhile to get back to normal?  I also have hypothyroidism.   PLEASE HELP!  
3 Responses
I'd be far more inclined to attribute this weight gain to your hypothyroidism, since it's very common for suffers to experience noticeable weight gain. It's true that some prescription psychotropic medications result in weight gain, but Lexapro is rarely linked to this. Your thyroid hormones are intrinsically linked to metabolism and digestive processes, whereas it's unclear whether weight gain experienced by those on Lexapro is attributable to the medication or to changes in environmental factors brought about while the patient is taking the Lexapro. Also, hypothyroidism can cause and exacerbate depression, so you should be wary of that.

I don't know what you're doing to help with your hypothyroidism but, if you're not doing anything, you need to be taking iodine supplements. Also, if you went off your Lexapro without being advised to by your doctor, I recommend you make an appointment with your doctor and talk about it rather than trusting the advice of forum-goers, even though it can be helpful in some cases.
*sufferers
*sufferers
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.