Depression Community

Wellbutrin SR 150 vs generic buproprion

I've been on Wellbutrin SR 150 mg for 3 years.  My dr suggested I switch to the generic 100 mg (3 times a day)because it's cheaper.  I was taking the Wellbutrin one each night. Two days ago I started the generic one at night.  This morning I woke up crying & didn't feel well, so I took another but it made me feel tired, but better. Is it ok to take two at night of the generic rather than one in the morning and one at noon? Will it stay in my system because it's not timed released?  I don't think I can work and take one during the day.  The wellbutrin SR was time released so it was in my system all day.  Just wondering.
I think you should check with your doctor on this. I am on 300 mg of wellbutrin and I am supposed to take it in the morning. I usually take it at different times and my Dr. has told me I need to take it at the same time every day. I'm thinking maybe that is why I'm not feeling any better. I have been on it for 2 months now. With meds for depression I think you have to take them exactly as prescribed in order to get any benefit from them. Hope things get better for you.
I've been on this stupid med. for months now. I hate it. When I dont take it im always bitchy.
I just dont like it

My doc. has me on WellbutrinSR 150 and on Strattra 80mg.
I just dont like it.
We are currently working on a new medication for depression, if you are intrested you can contact me @ ***@****
You should take any medication exactly as it is prescribed to you first and foremost. But according to the manufacturer and depending on how many milligrams you are taking you should take Wellbutrin SR and any generic form like Bupropion SR TWICE A DAY when used for depression and should definitely NOT take two tablets once a day. Bupropion SR is also a sustain release tablet. I am surprised you are not able to take it during the day and take it at night. Typically Wellbutrin and Bupropion can act as a stimulant for many people and can make it hard to sleep. That is why it is a good idea to take it early in the morning and then about 8 hours later but not right before bed.

Wellbutrin XL is to be taken once a day and it is an extended release tablet which is why you only need one per day.

This medication is not right for everyone, it really depends on your body chemistry and your needs. For example; Wellbutrin is not an SSRI (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like Paxil, Lexapro, Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, and a few others. Wellbutrin is an NDRI (Norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor) which may not be what your body needs. There are different TYPES that work differently with the brain chemistry. After thorough testing from a mental health profession, such as a psychiatrist, they should be able to tell you  what type of medication would be the best fit for you.
I tried the generic twice a day, too. Couldn't sleep. Switched to once a day Wellbutrin and slept fine--until my SAD light kicked in, at which time I quit the Wellbutrin. But the generic definitely made it harder to sleep. If you can afford to go back to what worked, I'd advise that. If you're taking it for seasonal affective disorder (which causes depression), consider buying a SAD light.