Depression Community

Zoloft and weight gain - loss

Hello all zolof so called addicts!
I have been on Zoloft for 10 years (!) and finally decided to try without it. I don't think I need it anymore and I'm sick of being about 50 pounds overweight...My doctors tell me I have to lose weight and lover my blood pressure..I kind of get annoyed because I eat very healthy, cook my own food, bake my own bread (whole grain), exercise,and HARDLY EVER eat suger. I don't even like it!

I have tried numerous of times to get off Zolof but always ended back on the meds. This time I have done better. I tapered off and I now only take 1/10 of 50 mg once a week. I haven't felt dizzy or anything but my conern is - HOW DO I LOSE MY WEIGHT???? I have gained 50 pounds and I would REALLY like to get back in shape. I eat right, exercise, and really try to keep my carbs down...

I think it's been easy to get off the med since I'm really happy at work and I also think I'm in love...
Anna
Weight Watchers is very successful.  They teach you how to measure food.  I've known so many people that lost weight on that, even when they ate healthy on their own.  May be an option.
I quit Zoloft because of the weight gain and decided to quit just cold turkey- not a good idea.  Glad you did it the right way- good luck to you!  :)
I am an ex-personal trainer and I gained 20 pounds on Zoloft.  It freaked me out!  The drug just made me tired, lethargic and lazy.  I tapered off the Zoloft and quit all together in October and found that my lack of motivation did not return.  I just started a new drug, Effexor, and hopefully that will help my motivation.  In the meantime, I can tell you that if you are eating right, watching carbs and exercising...you are on the right plan.  However, how do you define "eating right?"  You need to make sure that you are getting a balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies, a protein base (meat or beans) and that you are drinking LOTS of water.  Don't saturate your food in sauces or dressings, avoid sugar and if you're drinking soda (even if it's diet)...try to taper off that as well but substitute with low sugar beverages like Crystal Light or diet Minute Maid...oh and did I mention water? And monitor your portions.  A good guide is to not serve up a portion size larger than your fist.  When you start to feel full...stop eating.  Make sure that you are getting at least 30 minutes of solid cardio a minimum of 3x a week and that you combine that with muscle toning. And be patient.  If you don't see immediate results, don't get frustrated and stop doing what you are doing.  If you are losing weight the healthy way...it won't just all fall off like you see on television programs like the Biggest Loser.  Remember that those people are working out several hours a day in multiple sessions with the guidance of trainers.  Proper weight loss starts slowly and you will start to notice more weight loss more quickly as you get healthier.  Good luck!
I gained over 20 lbs, using Zoloft for about 5 months. Although I was feeling better during drug intake process, I was not aware of physical change until months later. After 6 - 7 mos of leaving zoloft, I am finally loosing weight, due to accupunture!! Perhaps meds cuased blockage in body and potentially altered metabolic rate. After avoiding zoloft, I was walking 9 miles a day, but, w/o any weight loss....

In the end, Zoloft reduced depression/anxiety, weight gain started to create anxiety issues. In the long term, zoloft seemed to be quite ineffective.
Dear Anna, It's incredibly frustrating not to be able to lose weight!  It's not your fault.  It's chemical.  Your brain keeps telling you to eat or that you're not full.  I am a physician and have helped hundreds of people on antidepressants lose weight and keep it off.  Check out The Serotonin Power Diet which is proven by reserach studies at MIT to be effective for people on antidepressants to lose weight.  The reason it's so effective is that it takes away food cravings.  Eat the right carbs (yes, you must eat carbs) and your brain will make serotonin.  Serotonin shuts off your appetite, reduces your cravings, and makes you feel good.  Just everyday foods - no herbs, drugs, or supplements.  
Are you saying this diet is effective to help people lose weight while they are on the meds, or that is helpful to help them get off the meds. I feel so much better on the zoloft, but I have gained 15 pounds and really want it off. I saw the book online, but just wanted to clarify. Will it help me lose the weight even if I stay on the meds?
JS
for anyone starting a new anti-depressant--------
I would suggest to weight yourself every week or couple of weeks.  This is the way the weight sneaks on.  If you only go by how your clothes fit, you may assume you' ve gained 5 pounds when you've really gained 20.  I gained a lot of weight on Zoloft, but I was unaware of this side effect.  I went months without weighing.  If you see you're gaining weight, you can increase your exercise, lower your calories, etc.

Also, working out at Curves helped me.  You put muscle on your body which increases your metabolism and calories burned.
I have gained 50lbs on Paxil and I am now slowly coming off of it. Your not alone. Keep trying to come off the meds or switch to another. And keep eating right.

It's very hard, I know the feeling.

Jmana
I've been taking 100mg zoloft for almost a year (increased from 50mg due to panic attacks) and have now decided to stop! I too have gained weight...not even sure how much b/c I refuse to get on the scale! I can still fit into my clothes (barely) but it's just frustrating feeling helpless! Here's my catch 22...I know I should be working out or exercising in some way but the medicine has me feeling lazy and fatigued!!!! I can't even get motivated to work out...and even when I'm mentally motivated..I'm physically exhausted! What can I do?????
How did you cut your 50 mg Zoloft into 10th's.  I want to tapper off the drug but don't know the best way to reduce what I'm taking.
I am SO glad I decided to do my own research before starting Zoloft.  I gained 30 lbs on Lexapro and stopped taking it after a few months.  It's been 4 months since I stopped taking Lexapro and I'm just now able to lose weight without trying.  But when I shared my concern with my doctor, she assured me that I shouldn't have a problem with Zoloft.  Well...thanks to your comments, I have decided I rather learn how to deal with anxiety and depression without the help of drugs and chemicals.  I'm happy already knowing that I won't be gaining weight unnecessarily :-)
I have not gained any weight on Zoloft HOWEVER:

I drink 8 glasses of water a day
I exercise 3 to 4 times a week
I don't eat more than 1800 calories a day, most days less like 1200
I eat fruit, veggies, protein and the right amount of carbs
I don't drink soda anymore

I should be losing weight, but (in my non-medical opinion) that I am working to stay the same weight