acai berry

i have bipolar and is thinking about taking a acai berrry pills is it safe with my conditon
i take depakote, effexor & enablex
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Acai berry is really no use, if you want an anti-oxidant, go for blueberry just, it's cheap and does the same thing.  There is no proven double blind studies showing any use as a therapy.
Helpful - 0
LCC is right, but it probably won't hurt you, other than depleting your wallet.
Helpful - 0
what about for weight lose supplement
Helpful - 0
Ooh stay away from those, they can induce serious anxiety and hypomania. If you mean "diet pills" What they are supposed to do is up your metabolism, but there is no actually proof that they do that, except for folks who have less then 20lbs.I see all those commercials with "special" herbs or supplements. I actually called on company and they refused to tell me exactly what was in it. Like herbs they are not FDA approved. There is no regulation for natural products, they are considered food.

Any of those producte WILL trigger an episode. Acai berry isn't worth it. I do take Omega-3, because there are pormising studies suggesting it aids in brain function, as well as the circulatory system, especially Omega 3-6-9. If you don't eat properly I would really suggest a balanced vitamin. Stay away from anything with a stimulant in it like Ginseng, Guarana, Ma Haung and  large amounts of caffeine. i get hypomanic at times if I have more the 1 cup of coffee. I also avoid if I have a cold, to stay away from any OTC cold medicine, most of them have a stimulant.

Lifestyle chances are the most affective. I don't consider it a diet. I limit my intake of sugars, stay away from fast foods and premade foods, though that's a hard thing being a bachlorette and I can't really cook. I have plenty of yoguurt, cheese, veggies.  I stay away from most carbonated beverages, though I have a sugar free one I treat myself to one a day.I limit my sugar intake, look on the box before you buy something. If it's withing the first 5, i wouldn't touch it.

I hope this helps, I would also ask your doctor first before you decide to take anything else.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Depression Community