Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.6k Members
773755 tn?1328119777

basically can you be depressed and not know?

hi, I have chronic fatigue syndrome; my dad are poor communicators and yesterday he gave me some unsolicited (and useless) advice. cfs is a very trying mysterious condition. he was implying that my symptoms are depressive - which annoys me the **** to heII. so generally i had been feeling ok - usual exhaustion, but emotionally sound, i think. then yesterday's very poorly transactions, i was crying like an infant, mad, upset, hurt, very grieved. then i simply went NUMB. then had 2 hours sleep overnight due to restlessness. today thankfully feeling not so damn tired but mad as ****. want to die to end the pain. yet don't want to kill myself if that makes any sense.
then i wonder - am i depressed and don't know it?
does anyone here have depressive state after having an anger event?
thank you
3 Responses
I think it's fairly common for people to be depressed and not realize it.  The best definition I heard for depression is that it's not about feeling blue so much as it's not feeling the full range of emotion.  Wanting to die to end the pain, tired, numb that would all be indicative of depression (which can also be part of a larger issue too).

I find that many of the basic "Are you depressed?" tests are fairly accurate (there's nothing like being in the ER for something unrelated and someone quiz you on depression and then look at you while telling you that you are, in fact, severely and dangerously depressed).  

I've found that anger can be born out of depression, at least for me if it hits a nerve.  I'm less able to think rationally and refocus my anger in a helpful way.

I did find Dialectical Behavioral Therapy helpful...and therapy in general.  I'm of the mindset that therapy can be extremely useful no matter what your situation.
773755 tn?1328119777
thank you! i found a little quiz that indicates dysthymia; sounds about right. wow, this is news to me. i'll investigate dialectical bt, later too. it sounds too hard right now :) i appreciate the comments
1110049 tn?1409402144
Yes you can have depression and not know it.  Happened to me.  I was very surprised when diagnosed.

I never found therapy helped me, but we are all different.
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.