Depression Community

how to start self cure for depression?

Hello I'm 25 years old and I have depression that sets in and stays for days to weeks. Its been going on since I was a girl along with it I pull out my hair and have chronic pain and fatigue. I have weight gain and feel worthless most days. It does seem to go away when I get out and about but the simple things like a bill or a phone call can change my mood and Its so hard to get back from that point. If there is someone who has figured out a system or anything besides drugs please help. Its getting to the point where life is not as promising as I thought it was staring at the barrel of 30 years old. I fear I wont ever finish college or own my own business. I have great dreams but get derailed several weeks at a time. I'm mother to a wonderful 6 year old! He is my world and I would love to be more active with him but as I write this I am in bed. In bed is where I am most days.

Please don't read and run. God bless everyone suffering its taken a lot for me to realize this is not what life is meant to be. I am now engaged and fear that this will ruin things eventually. I only ever remember feeling balanced when I was pregnant with my son.
I have suffered with depression for many years. I sometimes think emotional pain can be worse than physical pain. I know there are many "natural" supplements that are geared toward treating depression/anxiety, but I have never taken any of them. I do see a therapist, and honestly just being able to talk things thru has helped a bunch! I also take prescription meds, and it did take a few different ones before I found the right one for me.
I notice you said you only ever remember feeling balanced when you were pregnant...have you had your hormones checked? I know you're young, but things like birth control pills can affect one's mood... It also would probably be a good idea to just have a general check up with your dr, if you haven't already, and have blood work to check everything, like your thyroid, etc.
Another thing that is helpful is trying to make sure you can have some relaxation time just for you. It's sometimes hard to do when you're a mom to a younger child, but it's really important for you to try and take the best care of you that you can..that way you're able to take care of others, too...It's not selfish to try and have even a few minutes of alone time.
I find that quilting is relaxing for me...granted I am old enough to be your mom..lol. Find what it is that you enjoy..reading a book, hobbies, etc.
Take care, and hope you feel better soon!
C
Balance....
I suffer from bipolar.... Well I don't suffer all of the time.  Coming out of depression is difficult and when we do we hope that it never happens again.
It is a lot easier to stay out of it than to come out of it as I am sure you know.  I fight my depression by trying to stay ahead of it.  I have a lot of theories on fighting depression.  Some of them are silly but I am a silly person.  If you want to read some of them I will give you the links.  If nothing else you may be able to get a laugh out of them:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Bipolar-Disorder/Fighting-depression/show/1883533
I read your link, thanks for sharing it!
C
No need to worry for anything like this. My friend is suffering from depression from last 6 months. He did every possivle task to get rid of depression but now he is feeling betterwhen i suggested him to have a trip with friends and enjoy the life.
I think you have bipolar disorder which can be controlled by you in some simple ways like:
Take your meds at the time properly.
Exercise daily.
Have balanced diet.
Avoid travelling to other time zones.
Improve sleeping habits like daily sleeping hours should be same.
Avoid alcohol.
Avoid illegal drugs.
Reduce stress.
Seek treatment immediately.
Negative thoughts attract negative thoughts ... and this can lead to fear and anxiety, lack of self confidence and self esteem, depression, illness, disease, and more. And ... we help to create this for ourselves by hanging on to the negative thoughts. Perhaps not even the initial negative event but we have multiplied its effect in our mind and body by not using techniques to handle it, moving through it and learning from it. So then emotional negativity becomes a habit.

It is extremely important to express your feelings and talk about events. This can be done with friends or with a counsellor. Look at the consequences of internalising or pushing down negative feelings.

Regards,