Depression Community

marijuana use and depression treatment

I have had depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and insomnia for 3 years. I can't find any kind of doctor who will treat me, because I smoke marijuana every day. Its the only thing that makes me feel better, but only while I'm actually high. My family doctor wouldn't give me anything unless I quit, I can't find a psychiatrist who will give me medication unless I quit. Does anyone know how to find a doctor that will treat me without insisting I quit doing the one thing that helps?
Yes psychiatrists would want someone to stop marijuana use first but best to go to rehab and a dual recovery group for a person with a substance abuse disorder and psychiatric disability as well. Its not helping really but it is masking what's going on and can be a form of self medication but you might need the help of a recovery group to stop it and there's a forum for that as welll.
I know the MJ seems like it helps and I can relate. I don't smoke MJ, but I take Xanax and alcohol together and for a short time they really vaporize my depression and anxiety.

What you must understand is that this is simply self medicating that we do. The end result is not going to help bring your depression and anxiety to a remissive state.

Not that I have room to talk, simply because I drink and take Benzos to ease my suffering, but I now it has very bad long term consiquesces for our illness.

Being that you suffer from bad anxiety, I am very supprised that you find MJ therputic.
In most people with severe anxiety MJ elevates this level of anxiety (myself included) which is why I do not smoke it.

If I want an instant severe panic attack all I have to do is smoke a joint.
alcohol and xanex do not compare to medical marijuana. Cannabis is an herb not a drug.  Yes people use it for depression.  If you live in a state that allows it then get your card.  if you need information please get in touch.  God bless you
You indeed are self-medicating for feeling depressed by using this substance but have you thought about the withdrawal effect from the substance and the actual depressed feelings you get from not using the substance?? MJ can provide relief from depression as you acknowledge and you would'nt be the first to use it as i hold my hand having been there, but just like other mood altering substances including alcohol they amplify existing mood states and can over time considerable change the brains neuro-chemistry and its intra-connected neuronal pathways and greatly affect your mood overtime.

Studies have shown that they actually deplete the brains own specific hormones such as serotonin, noradrenaline and dopemine which all have important roles to play in our genetic make-up. They regulate our bodily rythmes and emotional well-being and with these possibly changing due to our habitual behaviours this can lead to severe depression and anxiety disorders. We can and there are things that we can do to re-produce these chemical compounds naturally instead of artifically smoking weed, but its about what you want to do and maybe about your use of the drug and your depression.

It appears that you now are using this as an emotional crutch to get through your difficulties which has its good points, but also perhaps its bad points as your so dependent upon this to face your feelings no matter how terrible you think they maybe.

I'm not here to judge and hope that i've not offended your intelligence with the above but i've learned a great lot over the years from the self-help literature available and reading up about what i suffer from. Doctors should be able to treat you with an appropriate anti-depressant despite you boldly admitting you smoke MJ as perhaps it maybe something to do with their 'old school' expectations about how to treat people who experience mental health problems and have drug issues, as its never as sblack or white about whether you wish to continue to use or not as you may wish to consider reducing perhaps.

One things for certain you wish to feel increasingly better as cannot remain high on MJ to feel that level of emotional stability and relaxation that you are wanting. It could involve Ad's , talk therapies and yourself being considerate of the imapct that MJ is having upon you.  I wish you well in this personal endeavour where you may have to decide to make changes in your lifetstyle to promote your no 1 priority of your mental health, as i now only smoke occasionally.
Some really silly and quite hypocritical comments here from people who clearly do not use dope and know nothing about the real effects on us.

Quoted are "some studies" which are easily countered by other studies which show the opposite.

The main problem with dope smoking is for those under about age 24, at which age our brains are said to be fully formed. Prior to that age it can cause depression, psychosis, loss of memory and generally de motivates us.

After that age this is not the case at all. So it depends highly on your age.

As to your question of finding a doc, the answer is simply to stop for a while or lie. If you tell them up front they will take the negative approach and the same applies to those who drink. I'd suggest those people lie to their docs too, by omission at least.

In the end though mate it's a matter of what your priority really is. Do you want to treat your illness or smoke. If you want to smoke every day etc then don't bother with a doc as you will not be able to follow any therapy and will not be able to comply with med use either. You'll forget, just decide not to take a pill today and so on.

It's time to choose, as it is for those who use other drugs and thus negate their treatment.

Smoke or get serious about treatment. It's that simple. Don't kid yourself that you can lie to a decent doc either. They'll smell it on you, see the eyes, the fingers and your physical condition.

I know smoking from time to time helps me, with concentration, motivation and pain relief. But I've been on this treadmill for decades mate. The dope can't hurt me and actually works well for me but only for short periods as it stops working with constant use.

Do yourself a favour and just stop and fix your head mate, please.
My motto is "whatever works."

If pot helped my depression then I would smoke it 5 times a day. If it is helping with your depression and anxiety I say bravo. I would smoke Cow dung if it worked to help my depression.

Unfortunatly for me MJ just makes my condition worse. I wish that was not the case.