Depression Community

prozac question

background infos: I am bipolar 2 with the majority of my problems being depression rather than hypomania.

I have been on lithium for 4 months now. It's been working really nicely for the most part. Except for the fact that I just had a 2 month long depression spike that really f**ked with my life. When I went in to talk with a psych about it (I go to a clinic where you rarely see the same person twice), she upped my lithium to 1200. I was kind of upset because I knew summer months can affect your lithium levels, and I knew that lithium doesn't help with depression, but I gave it a try. It didn't help. As of 2 days ago, the depression finally lifted on its own the way it does.

So yesterday I had a psych appointment. I saw the same psych again who'd upped my dose previously. She now thinks my lithium dose is too high and will probably lower it after she gets my labs back. I was pushing to get put back on buproprion because it helped my depression a couple years back, but it's expensive. She's pushing me toward prozac. She's putting me on a weird dose where I take 20mg Mondays and Thursdays. I'm really freaked out by it but am willing to try because it's only $4/mo and I'm poor. 2 years ago I tried celexa and it made me lose touch with reality. It's made me really distrustful of SSRIs for myself, although I recognize that different drugs affect you differently. I'm having a really hard time trusting her because she thought upping my lithium would break the depression spike I was in, even though every other psych has told me lithium can't do that, and lithium hasn't helped my depression before.

Basically I'm kind of freaking out because I don't know what to expect from prozac. I'm scared I'll have a breakdown again. I'm scared because some of the potential side effects are really bad. Do any of y'all have experience with prozac, especially paired with lithium, that you'd like to share?
I've been taking Prozac for 4 years.  Started at 10mg and have pretty much stayed at 10mg.  I tried celexa too and it made me very anxious, so went back to Prozac.  It really helped me at first with my postpartum depression.  Now, I'm not sure it's doing anything although I'm afraid to see how worse I'd be without it.  I have never taken lithium.  I've had very little side effects, if any,  with Prozac.