Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.5k Members

serotonin blood test

I just had my serotonin checked from a blood test. It says my serotonin levels are good. I have a lot of pretty bad depression and have suffered anxiety for the past almost 2 years. It doesn't make sense that I could be depressed but the seotonin levels are normal. Are these test accurate? I understand it's an expensive test. Did I just waste my money?
12 Responses
Serotonin is only one of many neurotransmitters that play a factor in Depression and Anxiety dissorders.

Neurephineferine, Doapamine and Triptofan levels also play a huge part.

How were your levels in those areas?
depression and anxiety are so complex that they differ between individuals that no one knows what really causes them, and if you walk into docs office and say I depressed and in 15 minutes walk out with prescription, than there is something wrong with your doc, or he's laze or he is  under influence of drug corporations. What I'm trying  to say is that you should investigate your entire life to find what could possible cause you ill. Many people have normal level of serotonin or higher then normal people and they are still ill.
Is there a blood test that detects seratonin levels?
I've NEVER heard of a blood test for serotonin levels - IS there one? I want it!!
and ditto what Hensley258 said.
710547 tn?1295449630
Hi, I have been researching the tests for serotonin because I have very low serum levels.  I've had the blood test on several occasions.  What I don't know is how it translates to the levels in the brain - the synaptic spaces.  The hormone, serotonin, is made in the brain (pineal gland), from its amino acid precursor, tryptophan.  Its found in the blood platelets, the lining of the GI tract, and the brain.  Amino acids compete for transportation access across the blood-brain barrier.  When there are large amounts of the amino acid, tryptophan, it crosses at higher concentrations and more serotonin is subsequently made. When the blood levels are tested - I don't know exactly what that means.  One would think it would be reflective of the concentration in the brain.  I've been on SSRIs for a long time, theoretically preventing unused serotonin from being reabsorbed back into the nerve fiber from which it was released.  Because it is also used in the other areas mentioned in the body, some must travel back through the bb barier into the body, where it can be measured with the blood test.  I haven't been able to get a straight answer from any doctor or lab technician.  I know its a complicated process, but I've a bit frustrated.

Because my levels are SO LOW - I want to know the significance and what I can do.  The normal values at the low end are twice as high as my level.  I will continue my research

Jan
1 Comments
MeadowhawkExternal User
Have you checked your adrenal function? Sometimes levels of serotonin do not matter when the adrenals are overloaded with stress, caffeine, eating/sleeping habits etc.
1321986 tn?1274514052
wow, well you learn something new everyday, i was totally unaware there was a test to check levels of Serotonin.  I thought it was one of those things the doc's couldn't measure.  Is this test on the NHS in England by any chance?
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.