Depression Community

therapist vs psycholgist vs psychiatrist

hello people first time posting here on this forum, im usually on anxiety forum, as i have had anxiety for the past few months but anyway i feel mild depression maybe starting to kick in, ive been seeing a cognitive behaviour therapist which was no help to me, so am now thinking about a psychologist or psychiatrist, are these any different when compared to each other or to a cognitive behaviour therapist or whats the difference?......thanks
Well of course a psychiatrist can prescribe medication. A psychologist is a talk therapist but sometimes works with a psychiatrist. Medication and talk therapy usually work best together though but as to whether you need treatment and what medication that would be up to the psychiatrist.
Cognitive Behavior Therapy is really effective for a lot of people! Apparently when we are able to change our thinking patterns (through CBT) depression and anxiety symptoms usually lessen, or disappear. Also, in my opinion, it's hard to find good care providers, so my suggestion would be to stick with the CBT therapist if that's working for you. If you ever want to change ~ Always Establish a Connection with a new provider before discontinuing any therapist. Some do swear by psychiatrists; many more don't have access to them because of the expense or availability of their treatment! (our mental health community at large is over-burdened and under staffed in this country)
We've been given many competent therapists and general practitioner medical doctors to treat us though ~ we can make use of what they have to offer us. You may also get a referral to a psychiatric nurse practitioner ~ a professional well trained in psychiatric medicine in conjunction with other therapies.  Best wishes & keep coming back!
I personally would suggest a psychiatrist,  because talk therapy isn't being as successful as you wish, there may be a chemical imblance involved, and a therapist cannot make a clinical diagnosis.  Meds + therapy seem to be the best combination for anxiety and depression. You just need to go into your GP's to get a referral.
Group sessions are sometimes helpful, esp when moderated by a psychologist.  Some Parks & Recreation Depts, the Y, hospitals, health depts, and churches sponsor group therapy session.  They can be very effective, but your situation may be too specific to be applied to the group format.  Your current prof can guide you in that.  Your local cable or other tv or radio stations and newspaper are good sources of info re such groups, as are the sources I previously mentioned.  Sometimes you find a group that just doesn't click, in which the people are petty toward others, or generally cantankerous.  You have to remember the purpose of a discussion group.  A depression group is necessarily composed of people who are depressed, and you're going to hear a lot of depression coming out of such a group.  In spite of that, many groups leave people feeling somewhat better, or more understanding of their own situations, when the meeting is over.  If you join such a group, and you consistently feel worse as you walk away, that's not the group for you.  Only you can decide that.  So many good wishes to you!  Let us know how you decide to tackle the problem.
It really comes down to licensing and  education.  A therapist usually has a counseling education that involves social work, LCSW, or psychology (MFT), marriage and family therapist.  A psychologist generally has a PhD.  in psychology.  They can generally do all the same things and all have done supervised internships for a minimum number of hours specified by the state, usually 2,000 - 3,000.  A PhD. Psychologist has a lower requirement for their internship.  A psychiatrist is an MD that has specialized in treating mental health problems.  They've done additional residency working in a psychiatric facility.

In the modern world a person with mental health problems will usually have a therapist of one kind or another (LCSW, MFT or PhD.).  They will also have a psychiatrist whose primary role is medication management.  One will typically have a 1 hour therapy session as often as necessary and permitted by the insurance provider and a short medication management session with the psychiatrist for 15 or 20 minutes.  An occasional longer session may be held so the MD can evaluate the efficacy of  treatment and progress in accomplishing treatment goals.
Before you go too far down I would suggest Psychiatrist to prescribe the right drugs.

I tried everything else believe me over a few years and couldnt admit/believe that i needed a psychiatrist 'til one day i had no choice, be careful and best of luck!