23 year old female with premature thinning skin

I am a twenty three year old female whose skin is progressively becoming transparent. Over a period of eight years my thinning skin (which started on my legs) has now progressed to over my entire body. In the post "Thinning Skin at 26 years of age" I found that I am not the only one who is experiencing this premature thinning and am wondering whether anyone has researched this or has any idea what is going on? The physician (Alan Rockoff, MD - dermatology, Child Skin Problems) who answered the inquiries about the premature thinning skin post seemed to be of the opinion that it is nothing. I have to ask however, why if it is nothing that there are other people who are experiencing this. I also have to wonder how many people are experiencing this but do not realize that they are not alone? I feel like there are no answers and no support for this phenomenon. I too have searched the internet and have found no answers.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hey I'm 22 and I am experiencing the exact same thing.  It started on my legs which are pretty transparent now.  Now it is starting more on my hands and arms and all over really.  I have a blue vein under my eye as well.  Most people say they can't see it but I definitely do.  I don't know how they can't see it.  But i have also searched the internet and asked my doctors and they pass it off as nothing.  I guess because they don't have a explanation for it.  I have been on birth controls for a long time now.  I don't know if they has anything to do with it.  But it seems as though it has been happening my faster now.  Have you had any luck finding information on this yet?  Its at least nice to talk to someone who is going through the same thing.  
Helpful - 0
Hi, no I have not found any information on it yet. Like you I have found that people/doctors brush it off but I find it difficult as I can not find anything to mask the veins on my face. I think I would need to put the orange/yellow corrector all over my face. Have you found anything that has worked? I try not to think about it too much but I find that I can not really look at myself in the mirror for a long time as I will start to feel really ugly. I was at the hair dresser's the other day and as I was seated there looking in the mirror I could see the veins as clear as day. It makes you feel older doesn't it? have you found anything to really mask your dark circles? what is your skin complexion like? I am very fair.
Helpful - 0
Hey I haven't found any concealer yet but I will keep testing things.  There is a new one out that is suppose to blend with your natural skin tone.  I saw a commercial for it a while ago.  I cant remember the brand, one of the big ones like maybelline or something.  I'm not a big makeup person but i want to find a good product to cover up the vein under my eye.  I also have very fair skin, i'm irish.  Damn irish skin.  But maybe if me and you can collaborate on this to try to get to the root of the problem we could get some answers ourselves.  Because like you, it seemed to start all of a sudden and progressively get worse pretty fast.  I wonder if it could be medicine or vitamon supplements which i never used to take till about a year or so ago.  Or it could be nutritional.  I'm vegetarian but that is not new, I have been for five years or more.  But are you on any medications or take vitamons? or eat a certain diet anything that stands out to you? Good to hear back from you.  Hope to hear from you soon.
Helpful - 0
Hey! I think that the concealer that you are thinking of is Maybelline Trublend? it is supposed to match 99.9% of skin tones or something like that. Hm, I am not a vegetarian, I was not taking any vitamins when I noticed the changes in my skin. I was on Celexa or Wellbutrin and birth control, cannot recall the brand at the moment, perhaps Alesse. Do you have any autoimmune disorders? I have fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain syndrome. I did notice that my skin became very sensitive, one day so much so that it split leaving stretch marks. Sorry for the delay in my response I have a greater habit of checking facebook than hotmail. Talk to you later :)
Helpful - 0
Hey, have you tried that concealer yet? I do not have any autoimmune disorders, that i know of that is.  but the birth  control is a similarity.  was it a pill? were you on it for a length of time? b/c this was what i figured was the cause of it for me.  possible blood clots... its always a risk when you are on birth control.  I am not sure if what we are experiencing is a symptom of blood clots.  well let me know if you have anymore information on the bc you were on.  Hope your doing well.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community