Dermatology Community
53.8k Members
483165 tn?1208527996

A BOIL occured after a 50 mile bicycle ride

After completing a long bicycle ride (first time i rode w/underwear under my bike shorts) i felt a pain between my testicals and anus on the right side.  It became swollen and was about 2" long and very thin.  About 3 days later it came to a head and I experienced a slight fever.  It than started to bleed then puss startig coming out a (in my opinion) large opening (break) in my skin.  I have been soaking it and keeping it VERY clean with topical antibiotic cream.  The pain is not as intense since it has begun to drain, but it is still here and open.

Now it's been 3 days and it is still draining (leaking) and goes between blood and/or puss.  

My question(s) is:  What is this?  Should I see a doctor? and is their any home remedy I can do for this mysteries illness?
2 Responses
Avatar universal

Based on what you have posted , differentials will be a superficial skin infection such as a boil or it could be a perianal abscess.

Have you been biking for quite sometime already?

Are you engaged in a job that requires you to sit for hours at most time of the day?

A boil is due to a bacterial infection and may start as a reddish bump over the skin. The bump may eventually enlarge and drain pus profusely. This may be associated with fever at one point and severe pain and tenderness over the area.

On the other hand, a perianal abscess may be due to an inflammation and infection of underlying structures of the rectum and anus :" It arises from an infection at one of the anal crypts of Morgani which leads to inflammation and abscess formation. "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perianal_abscess

You need further evaluation by a physician. An internist may be able to assess you completely and suggest for referrals if further intervention may be indicated. You may be  needing oral antibiotics.

Keep the area clean and dry and wash only with mild and bland cleansers.

Have you been diagnosed with diabetes before?

Any other similar lesions in other parts of the body?
Avatar universal
What kind of underwear did you wear? I run, and I've found that the special runner's underwear (with minimal seams) is much more comfortable and causes a lot less rubbing against the skin down there. I've heard MANY cyclists complain about perianal skin irritations, so you're not alone.

Generally, you get what you pay for with that stuff.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions