A cream that may possibly work for itchy arms...

Try fluocinonide .05%  It's a prescription topical cream . I have the same problem with severe itching arms and tried this cream starting yesterday. Last night was the first night my arm went all night w/out itching. Your condition is most likely called:   'brachioradial pruritus'  There are a couple sites you should look at. One is 'the doctors doctor' ....go to the search site page and look up 'brachioradial pruritus'. Also, go to 'DermNet NZ' and look up  'brachioradial pruritus'. You may need someone to interpret the page on 'the doctors doctor' but you should still read and try to gain knowledge from it. With knowledge comes help.  I have been tormented for a couple years with the itching on my arms (mostly left arm) and I hope I am starting to find help and relief. Sometimes I just want to have my arm cut off it has about driven me crazy and finding relief (other than ice packs) is almost impossible it seems. I have a dermatologist who has been great about trying all sorts of different prescription creams on me. Most haven't really worked but I have had relief from  '3% LIDOCAINE AND .05% HYDROCORTOSONE' and as I was saying he gave me a new cream yesterday called FLUOCINONIDE .05% that  totally helped last night. I didn't have to pack my arm in the ice packs all night.  By doing research on the inetrnet there does seem to be indication of cervical spine problems that may predispose brachioradial pruritus. We need to explore everything we can to find out the cause of our problem.
If you want to email me I will give you any new info I  have found.  
You can reach me at-  the inn between at yahoo *******      
God bless to each of you.

This discussion is related to Severe Itching on arms.
I have been using the steriod cream,Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream during the day, and Sarna lotion at night. I have it on both arms this time around. The Sarna burns it and then cools it. I still wake up some nights, but some nights I don't. I have an appointment with an allergist. I'm also ready to cut my arms off. And, it looks really bad. Thanks for the info, I'll be looking at that web site.
HI,
I have been suffering with brachial pruritus since 1993. It is PURE HELL. No other way to put it. Mine comes and goes certain times of they year. I too have scars on my arms. It started just on one area of one arm and now it is both arms and sometimes both hands. Mine is mostly noc-turnal, but can happen during the day as well. I have been to several dr.s and chiropractors and nothing has cured it. I have been putting Icey Hot or something to that equivelant to almost counteract the itching and that does help along with ice. I lose a ton of sleep , which is probably the worst part of it all. Three of my sisters also suffer from it, but in much less capacity than mine. Still bad when it happens, but not as often. I have tried sun, no sun, etc. It is usally the worst in the summer. I think I will try drinking a ton of water like a previous person had suggested, and see if that works. Is the cream you mentioned still working, or did it just work for a couple days? I swear, there should be a support group for this! It is unbearable at times!
thanks for listening.
Hi!  I found an excellent website today which has the most information on it yet. It is: http://www.emedicine.com/derm/fulltopic/topic1355312.htm#section~INTRODUCTION
I feverently hope the mediator here doesn't block the website I just pasted from showing. We need to be able to help each other as much as we can.  But...if they do block it, try going to 'emedicine' and look up an article on  brachioradial pruritus written by Julianne Mann. It is so informative but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a rock solid cure or even a stop to the symptoms for so many. Read it as thoroughly as possible and research any words or phrases you may not understand. (There were plenty for me!)
The fluocinonide .05% seems to be helping more than anything else. One thing I have changed is, after I put two thin coats of the fluocinonide on (I wait for each coat to dry before applying next coat) then I have been sprinkling a good amount of 'baby gold bond' powder all over my arm on top of the last dry application of fluocinonide. For a few days it has helped anyway. It also sometimes helps when I'm driving in my car to lay a cloth over my arm that by the window with the sun on  it. The burning itch usually seems to worsen with sun on it.
Try keeping a bunch of  gel cold packs in the freezer for when you feel the 'torture' :)  coming on. I found a cvs brand that is in a little sleeve which can wrap around the arm and it has velcro on it to adjust to a snug enough fit that I can walk around the house and do tasks with it stuck to my arm. I just need to get about 5 more of them so if I need to I can numb my whole arm at one time with the cold. I have to do that a lot at night. My husband said one night it sounded like I was unwrapping a candy bar all night! I was using a really large cold gel pack that the Schwans man had left w/ me one day.
I'm sure our families get tired of hearing us talk about our condition but I for one can't help but talk about it. It's driving me insane!!!!!! That is why I've been trying so hard to research all I can about it lately.
Have you come across any indications in your research that this is related to pre/post menapause and the lack of estrogen as we age?? Suzanne Sommers wrote about this in her book Ageless as she suffers from it as do I. I live in florida and of course the heat of the summer doesnt help but I also dealt with this whilst living in the UK and it was certainly not hot there. So far ice packs have been my only relief and why it happens to me at 3.45am every morning I dont understand. Why when we sleep?? even tho sometimes it can happen during the day it seems tolerable. I just want a good nights sleep!!!!Please keep me posted with anymore news. Thanks.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried anti-fungal medication. I sprayed on athelete's foot spray and it really seemed to help - haven't tried it since, but I'm going to buy some tomorrow and try it again.
Reading about BR has been a lifesaver for me as I have had this condition for years.  It does drive one crazy.  One thing I did not see mentioned  is to take Vitamin  B Complex.  I started taking B-12 and it was an immediate help.  It calmed my itching tremendously. Take any of the B-Vitamins.  Stay out of the sun and heat, do not scratch if you can avoid it.  Carol F
I to have suffered from itchy arms for about 10 yrs. I rinse my
arms in cold water for awhile and it has a temporary result. Now it
seems to be only on my right arms, sometimes I swear it's just
nerves, but caffeine and stress seem to set it off. I've tried creams
from the dermatologist, and no luck. Seems to make it worse. I'm
interested in lack of estrogen problems. Two times my dermatologist
gave me a shot of cortezone, and boy did that help  for about three
months, then back again. The burning preceeds the itching, until I
have to leave wherever I am. I have to sleep without a top, so nothing
touches my arms, cold our not.
Has anyone had any luck with cortizone shots?
Doris H
I'm so relieved to find this website.  As I sit here once again waiting to hear back from yet another doctor, this forum has provided me at least with a sense that I'm not crazy afterall.  I am a 48 year old male who has had this condition for 5 years.  It started in the crook of my left arm, moved to the back of my neck and then my right arm.  I now have it in all 3 places.  Ice packs are in fact the only thing that give me relief, the only way I can fall asleep at night.  The condition started in San Francisco and continues now that I live in Florida.  I had some relief for a few moths and realize now that it is seasonal.  I have seen several doctors, dermatologists and even a neurologist and have been continually misdiagnosed.  I am frustrated but relieved that after spending all that money, I found the answer here online and not from any of my pricey doctors.  Thank you.  I was once prescribed neurontyn, an anti seizure medicine which helped but I had a terrible reaction to it while driving.  I had to pull over, vomited and couldn't speak.  It was frightening.  I've used numerous topical creams and allergy meds but these provided only passing relief.  Once again, ice packs were the only thing that helped.
I'm a 38 year old female and have been suffering for about 6 years. I've also thought of cutting off my arm, but was afraid I'd have phantom itch. I started going to a chiropractor for something else and after about 2 months, my arms stopped itching for about a year and a half. I recently rehurt my back and my arms started itching again. They have since calmed, since I still go to the chiropractor. It's worth a try!
It sounds like a type of neuropathy (sp).  I have had this condition off and on for the last 5 yrs.  It can drive you crazy.  I have found that taking B-12 is helpful.  Some say that staying out of the sun will help though I don't know if I agree.  The burning and itching is incredible.  When it starts, I put on ice, then spray with Lanocaine, take Benedryl-several.  Hang in there, Carol

I too have this same exact itch. I have had it for TEN years and feel hopeless that it will ever go away. Been to countless dermatologists and tried all kinds of expensive prescription creams, steroid creams, and regular OTC itch remedies--NOTHING has worked. Only possible diagnosis was BRACHIORADIAL PRURITUS, which I think is accurate, but the only prescription for relief was more creams—no root of cause or lasting cure or solution. Only relief is ice. It started 10 years ago (was living in mountains of Colorado--sunny, but little humidity) in the summer. It comes back every year around July/August and lasts thru December/January, disappearing just as suddenly as it returned. I am awake every single night with this, although it also occurs in the daytime now. It started on my left upper arm, but seems to expand each year. It went to entire left arm, then right upper, and entire right arm, and this year it extends to my shoulders. It is the worst torture, and makes an otherwise happy and laid back person very irritable, frustrated and tired! I do not know what to do. I am pregnant with first child so can not take meds or get an MRI, but am going to a neurologist asap and will ask for MRI after baby is born. I am 35, athletic (tho no known neck/back problems), and have also spent a lot of time outside and in the sun. I now live in Austin, Texas, also a sunny climate (but more humid than Colorado), and the dreaded itch came back about 3 weeks ago. I can not bear the thought of living with this for the rest of my life. Also, no rash or any other visible sign of itch, aside from the scars I create by scratching until bleeding. :(  I have been up many nights over 10 years reading blogs like this, see that thousands of people suffer with it, men and women of all ages, living in all parts of the world...I have not been able to distinguish a common thread for the cause besides the symptoms and the temporary relief from ice. I hope there is a doctor out there, or a team of doctors, that is aware of this and will take the time to find the cause and cure. I have tried acupuncture, tons of creams, both OTC and prescription, steroid creams such as triamcinalone, Benadryl, anything with menthol, icy hot,… I have heard about Neurontin (neurological) but heard it has strong side effects and prob. Wouldn’t relieve itch anyway. ALSO, I don't think it is related to estrogen, b/c both men and women have it (see Davids188 above), and people all over the world suffer from it, in different climates, etc. I drink a TON of water, and I still suffer from it. I thought maybe a lack of electrolytes (maybe I was flushing them out of my system b/c I drink so much water) so I started drinking electrolyte replacement drinks like Gatorade and Cytomax, also taking Emergen-C, but to no avail. Just thought I'd put out there all the things I've tried.... I am determined to take my laptop to a doctor and make them read all this...but the question is which kind of doctor? A dermatologist or neurologist? Or just someone who cares enough to research with us and maybe find a cure, and with that notoriety?!!!
hi ladies.  Notice that its mainly ladies that seem to have this problem.  Streamboattracey - I mentioned the prudoxin but I failed to mention that I now wear a sun shirt whenever I am going to be outside for an extended amount of time.  I found that the hotter the weather, the worst the itching became.  Mine was year round until this prudoxin and sun shirt combo.  Now its very, very occasional.  My husband's theory is that there is a connection between epidurals received while giving birth to my kids. The itch started after my second child.   Now I am in the menopausal stage of life so do hormones play a part?  Its about 12 years now since it started.  It was gradual - just an occasional itch somewhat seasonal moving onto both arms, from shoulder to wrist, and all year round.  I have had some issues with neck aches but nothing consistent.  Also, have religiously tracked my diet eliminating gluten for example but to no avail.  I see that someone posted using the flucinonide .5%  - that worked for about 4 months and gradually stopped plus it thinned my skin tremendously.  Keeping my fingers crossed that whether its the prudoxin, sun shirts or menopause,  I am just hopefully that this is ended.  My heart goes out to you all.  I am amazed how many dermatologists are oblivious to this, making you jump through so many hoops over and over again starting with anithistamines then a battalion of creams.  I started sending printouts to any dermatologists I had visited about this Brachialradial pruritus just so less people would suffer.  Keep posting.  Best wishes with the baby Tracey!