Dermatology Forum

Acne Scarring

Good afternoon doctor. You Probably dont remember me but i posted probably a month ago about my acne redness? Anyway well so heres the bad news.. I just got back from the Derm today and he reviewed my skin and he said that my acne redness is scarring.. Now i thought scarring is indentions in the skin? Is it not and that acne redness will fade with time because according to my derm he said that my acne redness is scarring and that the redness wont go away and that theres nothing that can be done about it. He said that i'll have to live with it for the rest of my life and that the only possible treatment for this is laser. Is all of this accurate? I did finish accutane about 3 months ago which cleared up my acne but all of this redness is just terrible and looks like i still have cystic acne. Now im just totally depressed about this if its true.

Is this true that i'll have to look like this for the rest of my life?

I thought redness fades with time? does it not?

Do you know anything about laser treatments and how much they average? Are they very effective? whats your stand on laser and is it safe?

Do you have any suggestions or ideas about my skin? What i can do? Because it cant be possible that this redness just stays like this forever or does it?

Please help me with any information possible besides my regular questions... I need all the help i can get because im totally freaking out and im just going insane if what my derm said was true.

Please get a hold of yourself.  This is not bad news, just realistic news, and you can do something about it.  I'm not sure about whether to call this "scarring," but terminology aside, if it looks as though the redness is there to stay, then you can laser it away.  Lasering redness is not new, experimental technology--it's been around for years, and can be used on newborn infants.  Treatments cost about $400, and it usually takes 1-3.  Get some consultations from qualified dermatologists who perform this common procedure, and then decide what you're prepared to do.  There really is no need for you to be freaking out or "going insane."  You might want also to look into some form of counseling to deal with your emotional issues.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi, this is Eloise from the acne forum. Take a look at my pictures to see how effective microdermabrasion and laser treatment can be at treating post-acne scars. You must wait 6 months after finishing Accutane treatment before having such procedures done because of the increased risk of scarring already fragilised skin.
Oral retinoids can cause facial redness and it has only been 3 months since you finished Accutane. Use a good skincare regime for facial redness such as Clinique's Redness Solutions or Rosaliac by La Roche-Posay. In another 3 months you will be able to have laser therapy if the problem persists. Although I do not consider scarring to be permanent unless it is a year old; your skin has a great ability to heal itself.
Depression and anxiety are common amongst acne patients. I was prescribed Effexor Venlafaxine to help with the Social Phobia associated with my severe acne.
Best Wishes, Eloise.
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions