Anal Skin Tag Removal...my experience

Hi all,

I just wanted to share with you my anal skin tag removal prodecure and basically walk you through my procedure and recovery cos there are alot of scary stories here that will make some folks afraid.

Well, I had internal and external hemmorrhoids courtesy of my pregnancys. My internal ones didn't really bother me but when I was 7-8 months pregnant with my son I was severely constipated...unfortunately for me, the extra pregnancy weight & straining caused me to have 2-3 finger sized external hemmorhoids. After pregnancy they shrunk and became skin tags, one large one about the size of my thumb and the other two size of finger.

I came across "Colorectal Health Centre" for chicago location online...and for anyone else who wants the website, here it is....http://www.crhcenter.com....after looking up various other removal procedures (such as laser) and decided to pay them a visit.

The Colorectal health centre accepted my insurance (HMO) otherwise banding would be $600 per visit...first my Dr asked what problem was and I told her. She used a instrument that is like the anal speculum to look inside my anal cavity and saw that I had 3 interior hemorrhoids. I had my banding that first visit. It was painless, a lil uncomfortable but quick. At the end of the banding, all I felt was a lil dull ache from the banding but it subsides after a few hours. My subsequent bandings were scheduled for two week intervals so I came back a fortnight later for my second banding then the third.

The 4th visit was my surgical procedure to remove my anal tags. This is what happened to me and what you can expect. My Dr had me kneel down infront of the bed that you sit on, then lie forward. The bed then lifts up and tilts you in a jack knife position so you're face down and butt is literally in the air. Next comes the anaesthesia and is the most painful part. The needle hurts very much going in and I was injected 3 times because I had anal tags at 3 sites around the anal area. The anaesthesia kicks in pretty immediately and the Dr started cutting off the tags. This whole process last no more than 5-10 minutes most.You don't feel anything, just tugging. Expect lots of bleeding and Dr used silver nitrate to cauterize the surgery site. There are no stitches.

After surgery....

The first day after procedure was told to stay off my feet and just relax. My recovery orders were to take 2 colace tablets daily to soften stools and take fibre supplement daily. 6-8 Glasses of water a must to keep hydrated not to strain when having bowel movement. Also take sitz baths to help healing process.

2nd day after procedure...

I didn't have any pain...just slight throbbing at surgery site and could feel the bleeding. Had BM without any pain, just felt some stretching and discomfort. Felt a hard lump at surgery site and was told by my nurse that the lump was caused by the amount of anaesthesia that they used on me. Assured me that it will go down and heal. So although lump was uncomfortble it wasn't unbearable.

3-6 days after procedure...

Lump at surgery site has gone down, slowly but surely. I have been taking sitz baths to help promote the healing process and taking my daily colace and fibre. My bleeding has been minimal.

1-2 weeks after procedure...

My hard lump has completely gone but I have slight sun flower sized slick of skin around the anal rim. Bleeding is almost gone but have developed rash between anal area because of discharge from the surgery site. Treated with desitin. Went away in 2-3 days.

Follow up visit with Dr...week 3

Dr was pretty pleased with my results. He said I said very slight scar tissue (the small sunflower seed sized skin) and using Vit E oil to soften it up and help minimize it. (my skin generally heals with the occasional keloid if the cut is deep). So all in all, I healed pretty well.

I would recommend that colorectal health centre for anyone's who considering removing hemorrhoids or anal tags. They really take great care of you and recovery time for anal tags after faster than traditional hemorrhoid surgery.

I'll do an update in a few months time in regards to the scar tissue I had.

this was very helpful. I am considering this as well. I am interested in hearing a follow up.

Just wanted to give a brief update on scar tissue, with the daily Vit E oil application, the scar tissue softened up and now my anal area is soft and smooth with no excess skin. I'm glad I had the procedure done because it really did take away the inconvience and consciousness. Don't hesistate with CRC, they are really professional and do take care of you.
I just had a skin tag removal done yesterday after 10-12 years of intermittent hemorrhoid issues.  It became too uncomfortable to simply just deal with any longer, particularly after an extremely painful thrombosis.  I have been going to the Center for Colorectal Health and am pleased for the most part.

I read so many horror stories online that I was actually really nervous going in.  Thankfully, I came across Mummymico's post and it really put me at ease.  

So, here is my story and experience with banding and skin tag removal and I will give progress updates over the next 2-3 weeks which is the time in which I expect to be recovered.

I had to have 4 banding procedures done approximately 4 weeks apart.  The banding is a cinch!  Dont even hesitate to get this done if you are having hemorrhoid issues.  Yeah, it may be a little embarrassing at first,  but these Dr.'s have seen it all and this is their profession and basically just another day at the office for them.

After the internal hemorrhoids were all taken care of we scheduled the skin tag removal.  My skin tags would regularly swell up and protrude and hurt and really put a damper on my social life as well as my sex life.  I was really self-conscious and its hard to have a good time when you're in pain and not feeling 100%.  So, I had the procedure yesterday.  I went into the room, undressed from waist down, covered up with the sheet, Dr. came in and had me lay on my side.  He asked me to be his assistant and hold my cheek so he could go to work.  He injected the area with Lidocaine.  This really didnt hurt that bad.  A little sting but he had me count to 10 and it really was over.  Then he went to work cutting and removing whatever.  I did feel a few tugs and a little sting at one point but nothing major.  I was done in 5-10 mins.  No stitches, just cauterized the wound.  He asked if I wanted to see the culprit and I did, so he showed it to me.  Ick.  Not pretty.  Good riddance!  What a relief!  He says I have another one but I'm hoping this was the main one and the other wont bother me.  If it does, I will just have him take it off.  

Day 1.. After the procedure... I was advised to rest, stay horizontal, avoid being on my feet or sitting at a computer in order to minimize swelling.  Sitz baths, a round of antibiotics and a script for Lortabs only if needed.  I was also told not to look down there or try to inspect with a mirror because it wasnt going to be pretty.  I drove home, no problem.  Got home, had a little discomfort but nothing major.  Had some bleeding but less than I expected.  I did have a lot of drainage from the surgical site which kind of surprised me.  But, I wasnt able to rest like I was told and had some things that had to get done so I suspect this is why I had the drainage.  I had a BM about 8 hours after the surgery and it wasnt as bad as I expected.  A little tugging.  I will say that there was alot of blood in the toilet and I was concerned.  I went directly to a sitz bath and layed down after.  The bleeding stopped and I havent had any since.  Just drainage.  Havent taken any of the prescribed pain meds.  There really isnt any pain.  I did take the antibiotics as instructed.

Day 2.. So far so good.  Just a little drainage.  I have noticed a hard lump in the area that I am hoping/assuming will go down in a couple of days.  It seems almost like a swollen skin tag except its really red and tender.  Its uncomfortable but not unbearable.  Still havent taken any pain meds and cant imagine I will have to at this point.

There you have it.  2 days and no horror story.  Its been alot better than I expected at this point.  Really just hoping the swelling of that other area goes down soon.  Its not pretty, thats for sure.  Very much looking forward to having that area be "normal" for a change!

I will post an update in a few days.  
Days 3-6

Pretty uncomfortable.  Lots of drainage from the site particularly if sitting or standing for long periods.  Ladies, wear an actual pad.  Panty liners arent really sufficient.  I was taking several sitz baths a day and did as much lounging as I could.  I think my problems mainly stem from the second skin tag that I need to get removed and the localized swelling in the area caused it to swell and hurt quite a bit.  I called the Center for Colorectal Health to see if they could see me before my follow up and remove the tag but the woman said the Dr. would not see me or even tentatively schedule the procedure until my follow up to make sure I was completely healed.  

One gripe I have about the Center for Colorectal Health is that they seem to draw out the procedures and suck co-pays and fees.  They would not band more than one hem, they would not remove more than one tag, they will not schedule a procedure until they see you first and then make you come back despite knowing the problem exists and needs to be taken care of.  I have been having procedures for almost exactly a year and by the time it is all said and done, I will have been there 10-12 times at $45 a pop.  A little ridiculous in my opinion.  But, they seem to have a monopoly on this particular niche and the banding procedure, so what can you do?  Yet another example of a system badly in need of reform.  

Day 7

Site of removal seems to be healing well.  2nd skin tag is still pretty swollen.  The area DEF doesnt look pany better than it did before.  I'm just trying to be patient and tell myself it will all work out and be normal down there in the next 4-6 weeks. Still have 3 more weeks until my follow-up.  I did have a BM and there was blood.  Still taking a few sitz baths a day.  There is less discomfort than there has been and I did manage to go to the gym today.  Ran and did upper body stuff.  No legs or squats or anything.  

Overall, still glad I had the procedure done.  Just wish they would have done them both at once but that would be one less co-pay and one less procedure to charge for.  So frustrating.  
I feel that I must post.  A couple months ago I got a thrombosed hemorrhoid which healed on its own.  Knowing nothing about hemorrhoids I read everything I could on the internet -- bad idea!  It caused me a huge amount of anxiety.  

I was pretty convinced the hemorrhoid had healed and I just had a skin tag but the thing kept swelling up and causing me to panic (I know, that's somewhat silly but it's the truth).  I went to a colon/rectal surgeons office and they confirmed that it was a benign skin tag.  Because it was causing me pain frequently (nearly once a week) they said I should consider having it removed.  I then found this web page and that certainly didn't help with my anxiety level.

Yesterday I had it removed.  The Doc said he used novocaine.  The shot hurt a bit but it really wasn't bad at all.  Then he used surgical scissors to remove the skin tag.  There was some very slight pain involved but less than the novocaine.  I think the entire procedure took 5 minutes.

I've had almost no pain.  I had a BM this morning and there was a small amount of blood but nothing serious and the bleeding stopped very quickly.

The Doc said I should be fully healed in about 1 week.

Perhaps my experience is easier than others because my tag wasn't very large?  The Doc said it was about the size of a shriveled up pea and was completely external.  The Doc didn't even schedule a follow-up appointment probably because the wounds are so minor.

I'm glad to have this thing gone and hopefully I won't experience the pain and swelling anymore.

I am also a runner and the pain is so minor that I plan to run today.  The Doc said that was completely fine.

So I guess experiences vary but so far mine certainly falls into the "it's nothing, don't worry" category.  I hope this post can comfort someone and make their decision easier.

4 skin tag removals from my anus. It is now the 6th day after my surgury to surgically remove 4 skin tags that were developed from having an anal fissure condition for many years. I decided to have them removed for cosmetic reasons.  I was put under general anasthesia, and also given my second botox shot into my sphincter muscle which has worked wonders in helping my chronic fissure heal. Now I must drink more water, and take metamusil every single day. Back to the skin tag removal. So far it has been extroidinarily painful. The first 3 days I had to take very strong pain meds such as vicodin. Bowel movements are still just as painful as the first day after the surgury. I decided at this point to not eat food, and just drink juice for another few days. Because going poo is like going to war and I get shot down and rendered in the most severe pain I have ever experienced in my entire life. Apparently, the anus has loads of nerves...great, who thought that was a good idea when creating the human body. It has the same amount of nerve endings as the facial lips. Now that makes more sense!  Anyway, I ABSOLUTELY DREAD having a bowel movement in the morning, and it is like taking one step forward and two steps back in the healing of the surgical wounds, ,which also bleed heavily each time. I run the bath water before I go to the bathroom so I can crawl in there like someone who has just been hit by a truck. The warm water takes about 4 minutes to relieve the pain. The doctor said that it would be one to two weeks before I was pain free. Man...this is one of the most painful things I have ever done. But I hope it will be worth it in the long term. I know I will feel more comfortable sexually, and not self conscious about the extra tissue. Good luck to anyone willing to go through this. It is seriously painful!!!