Dermatology Forum

Birthmark darkening

I am a 30 year old white female and I have an embarassing birthmark above my lip that I've had since I was a child. It has appeared & disappeared over the years, mostly appearing after long sun exposure.  As a child, it would only come out occasionally after sunning, with some freckles on my nose and cheeks.  It disappeared for a few years and returned when I was around 15, after sunning and disappeared in the winter.  I haven't seen it for nearly 10 years (sun or no sun) and then it reappeared when I was 25/26 and it has stayed on my upper lip ever since (looks like a 5:00 shadow but the same brown shade as my freckles...)  I put SPF 30 wax sunblock on my lip anytime I am in the sun, but it does not prevent it from becoming significantly darker.  I started trying over-the-counter skin bleach (Nadinola), but it is so dark, I don't know how long it will take to fade it completely, if at all.  I would like to know if there are any recommendations to fade it naturally or any over-the-counter products I can use, or ideally, if there is a permanent solution, i.e. safe laser removal or prescription medicine.  Could it possibly be changing hormones due to age that are affecting the pigment?  Also, is there anything I should be concerned about, such as skin cancer since this has stayed dark for the past couple of years, sun or no sun?  I appreciate your help.  Thanks!
I'm afraid you'll need to see a doctor in person for this one, preferable someone with laser capability.  Having said that, I would add that laser does not sound like the best approach to what I picture you as having.  Perhaps a prescription-strength skin lightening cream might help, or a light chemical peel.  Heavy-duty sun protection against UVA and UVB rays is also recommended to help treatment and prevent further darkening.  But again, for a definitive response, you'll need to have someone examine you.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions