Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

Body Acne

Quick question -

I have always suffered from acne on my body, due to getting infitego (SP) during high school football.   Now, whenever I sweat, I break out into red pimples all over my arms, back and shoulders.  It is especially bad on my arms, which produce red bumps, similar to in-grown hairs.

Is there anything I can do or take to get rid of this, or is this something  I have to deal with my entire life?  
4 Responses
309783 tn?1271961829
You don't say what you have already tried but the standard treatment for body acne is a course of oral antibiotics like Oxytetracycline 250mg twice daily and a topical retinoid gel such as Retin-a.
It would be unusual to get acne on your arms, this is more likely to be keratosis pilaris rubra. However, Retin-a is also effective for this condition.
Avatar universal
Thanks for your response.

I have not tried anything, just let it clear up on its own.  I have had these "pimples" all over my arms and chest as long as I can remember.  Would you suggest I goto a Derm. for review?
363110 tn?1340924019
Yes, you need to get looked at by your dermatologist since there are many creams, and ointments, and treatments that can help with your acne. there are different types of acne, some have small pimples, and others can have huge "cystic" bumps and cause scarring.

There are oral meds, and topical things and your doctor will most likely want you to try something topical before moving to an oral medication.
563773 tn?1374250139
Back and body acne are quite difficult to treat compared to acne on other parts of the body. Thoroughly wash your body everyday, especially the back and arms using a back brush and frequently change your bed sheet, as it is conducive for bacterial growth. Engage in a diet that is low in sugar and fat but is rich in vitamins. This prevents acne by preventing the buildup of excess oil on the skin. Also refrain from touching or squeezing your shoulder acne. Also try to keep your hair free of dandruff by using good antidandruff shampoos. You can also apply benzoyl peroxide creams or clindamycin cream on the acne.

If the symptoms persist, then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist then. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions