Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

Bump behind ear

I have a bump behind my ear about the size of a pea, its not hard and is easily movable. feels like its filled with fluid

please someone tell me this sounds like a boil/acne and not a swollen lymph node or something serious
1 Responses
Hi,

Most lumps behind the ear are due to infections or benign tumors of soft tissue origin. Behind the ear there is skin, fat, cartilage, bone, nerves, blood vessels, Lymph nodes, and salivary gland tissue (a portion of the parotid salivary gland extends behind the ear). A bump can develop from any of those structures, and could be due to a tumor (benign or not), an infection (Lymph node or skin), a swollen muscle or salivary gland, etc.

My suggestion would be to wait out for a few weeks to see if it changes in size. If it gets smaller, it was nothing. If it happens to get bigger, then get it evaluated from your doctor.An FNAC of the lump will give a clear cut picture.You may take some pain killers or some anti-inflammatory drug if pain is there.

Nothing can be said with surety without an actual clinical examination.Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions