Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal


Hello, I am a non-smoker. Recently, part of my bottom lip has changed from its original pink color to black, forming a long dark mark across the middle of it. Today, I've noticed a small fissure right in the middle of the lip when I opened my mouth wide trying to eat. I also feel a burning sensation when I lick my lip. But since it started, I haven't necessarily licked my lips more than usual, and licking my lips was never an issue in terms of dehydration. The skin of my lips also looks stretched, with a glossy appearance when I don't constantly moisturize them - something I didn't have to do so frequently prior to that - now I have petroleum jelly or chapstick applied almost 24 hrs a day and still see no improvement. The outside of the lining of my lips have also have felt itchy, dryer than the rest of the skin on my face; especially around the corners. (see attached picture).
I am afraid it might be Cheilitis, or some form of it, but there is no inflammation on my lip and lip darkening wasn't a symptom of Cheilitis when I read about it. My lips also don't resemble any of the images that I see on the internet when I Google Cheilitis. Maybe a mild form of it?
In my quick research, I also realized that Cortisone is a common prescription by doctors for Cheilitis. How would it be applied? Isn't it too dangerous to apply cream on the lips and around the mouth?
Please, any help or insight other than "go see your doctor" would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!!
2 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
Firstly, It can be due to vit B deficiency. Take some vitamin B complex for some days and see if your symptoms improve.
Secondly, it can be due to atopic dermatitis or eczema("Atopic" refers to a group of diseases where there is often an inherited tendency to develop other allergic conditions, such as asthma and hay fever). Cheilitis(Inflammation of the skin on and around the lips)is often seen in atopic dermatitis.Diagnosed by blood test like RAST. Treatment is by topical steroids or oral therapy of corticosteroids in severe cases. Topical creams like tacrolimus ointment (Protopic) and pimecrolimus cream (Elidel) are also useful.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar universal
Thank you!
I've just bought some vitamin B complex. I'm going to take it for a week or so to see if I get any improvements. If not, I will try one of the creams.
Thanks again for a detailed answer. I will keep you posted.

~ kinci
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions