Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.5k Members

Cold sore and newborn

I have an 8 day old. My 8 year old came down with a cold sore the day after she was born, I saw the red patch so knew to watch her and keep her far away from the baby. I also took them both to the pediatrician two days ago and the dr. said her cold sore was scabbing and I did what I was supposed to do, good handwashing and keeping the older child away.

Yesterday I noticed an irritation on my lip, near the corner, on the bottom lip. There are three tiny cracks/fissures that stung when I put on some Vaseline. My lips had been chapped postpartum and I've been waking up with night sweats so  am thinking that the cracks are due to that.

Now I am terrified it's a cold sore. I don't know if I've ever had a cold sore. I do know 2 years after my daughter had her primary outbreak, I had a very painful gum infection, on my gums and between my teeth that the dentist said was "gingivostomatis."  I also felt generally sick and had a fever.   Is this herpes?  SInce then I've had two episodes on my gums. I think it's gingivitis but it lasts a while, is very painful and then goes away.

The area on my lip  doesn't look like any cold sore my daughter has had (she gets a patch in the middle of her bottom lip, mostly below the border but right on the edge)  and there were no blisters, just red, irritated skin and these tiny cracks. Since yesterday I've been putting on hydrocortisone cream and Vaseline and this morning there is just one crack.

In the middle of the night the baby was fussy and I instinctively held her and then I kissed her on top of the head. I realized what I had done and immediately scrubbed her hair (she was born with a ton of hair).

Do you think this is a cold sore and do you think I exposed the baby?
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
Without the blisters appearing and the investigations of cold sore, it is very difficult to predict whether it is a cold sore. Pain, burning, tingling, or itching occurs at the infection site before the sores appear. Then clusters of blisters erupt which break down. You need to get some investigations like sample from the sores to identify the virus, culture analysis, Tzanck smear, antigen and antibody studies and blood sampling for antibody studies done to confirm the diagnosis. My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist.

Also if the blisters are not there, then it can be due to allergies or cheilitis lips also.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions