Cold sores? Eczema? Help!!

For the past 2 years I have had trouble with my lips when the weather starts to get colder.  Around this time of year my lower lip develops this reddish patch.  It starts off pretty mild, then it will get sort of flaky and crusty. It might even blister up and ooze as winter progresses. It can be a little itchy at times. It comes and goes throughout the fall and winter months. It seems like I will have it pretty bad for about a month or so then it will go away for a week then it will come back again. I saw an urgent care doctor about it last year and they prescribed me an antiviral oral medication and Acyclovir ointment. I know those medications are used to treat cold sores and I used them as prescribed but I couldn't tell if the meds were actually doing anything or not.  The doctor that examined me only looked at the spot. It didn't seem like she did a very thorough examination. When I saw her the area was blistered so maybe that led her to think it was a herpes/cold sore right away? I'm not sure.
The patch is developing again this year and I just really want an answer. I've had to deal with this for the last couple years and I really don't want to go through this again. I've done some research and eczema has come up several times. But who knows, maybe it is just a severe case of cold sores or something else.
I would greatly appreciate input regarding what this condition is and treatment options; thanks!