Avatar universal

Could this be contact dermititis?

Hello. I am circumcised and in the last year or so I have become aware of this growing problem on my glans penis. I noticed that on one side of it the skin seemed to be different. It was wrinkly and had a cluster of these small, flesh-colored flat bumps (about the size of a pin head, maybe smaller). These bumps also began growing around the edge of my penis on the same side while the other side remained fairly smooth and bumpless. I showed them to my doctor who said they were nothing but tiny pieces of skin resting on top of the wrinkles on my penis which makes them appear bumpy. Well that was back in March and since then this condition has slowly spread around to the other side of my glans penis. Now the entire head of my penis is wrinkled and covered in these small flesh colored bumps. The edges are no longer smooth because the little fleshy tabs of skin go all the way around the edges too. When it is wet with saliva for example you can't really quite see the bumps but when it is erect the entire head of my penis looks absolutely groteque. All these tiny bumps are even more visible and pronounced and the whole thing is red and bumpy and wrinkled and just gross looking. The edges all around the glans penis are cracked and frayed. Please, this is killing my self esteem and I don't understand why my penis did this and is not smooth like other guys! I understand keratinzation may play a role, but why does mine look so different than everyone elses? It's just going to keep getting worse and worse and I am only 23 so I shudder to think what it will look like when I'm 35. I am embarassed to have anyone see my penis erect in the daytime or under a light because I am afraid they will be turned off by it. What should I do? Should I see a dermatologust and if I do is there anything he can do to shed this rough skin and get my penis back to some semblance of normal? Is it possible to change skin like this on the penis head or is this something I will have to suffer with and obsess over my entire life?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
Thanks for answering. Can Fordyce subside with the application of steroid creams?
My symptoms seem to alleviate with hydrocortizone, but end up coming back.
Helpful - 0
563773 tn?1374246539
It sounds like Fordyce spots. They are small, painless, raised, pale spots or bumps 1 to 3 mm in diameter that may appear on the shaft of the penis. The spots are a form of ectopic sebaceous gland, and are not known to be associated with any disease or illness and are of cosmetic concern only. They are non-infectious and a natural occurrence on the body.

They should be got removed only for cosmetic reasons as they are normally found on the penis. Treatment of Fordyce spots includes CO2 laser or electro desiccation, TCA chemical peels(temporary treatment),diathermy or laser vaporization.

I hope that helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions