DESPERATE- recurring rash on neck

For around 5 years, I’ve experienced a recurring rash around my neck. The rash starts just below my jaw line (circling the circumference of my neck) and ends just below my collarbone.

When this rash “flares up” it always produces a BRIGHT red rash, and is often accompanied by burning and/or itching, and sometimes even has moist feel to it.

Sweating (which for me happens often, and more easily and extensively than anyone I know) seems to vastly increase the irritation. It has actually caused me to workout less, and do less activities, as the burning sensation and redness are umcomfortable and embarrassing.

After a few days, the burning/itching will subside, and redness may decrease. However, it’s been years since my neck skin tone has matched the rest of my body, which is also very embarrassing.

I’ve been to 3 different dermatologists, but to be honest it seems like none of them have cared enough to take is serious and just want to filter patients in and out as quickly as possible.

Over the years, I’ve been prescribed antihistamines, hydrocortisone, steroidal creams, antifungals, etc.  None of which has cured the problem, and honestly hasn’t really done much to even reduce my symptoms.

I’m beginning to think it is sweat related, maybe blocked sweat glands from excessive sweating.

I’ve done everything I could think, I’ve avoided any abrasive soaps, I avoid sunlight as much as possible, and I wear loose fitting shirts and almost never wear a collared shirt.

I’m desperate to figure this out, it interferes with day-to-day activity, and as mentioned is extremely embarrassing when my neck is the only part of my body that is drastically red compared to my light complexion everywhere else.

Please help!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community