Discolouration around mouth...?

I have a really dark area around the corner of my mouth - it's quite large on one side of my mouth.
It's not on the lips or on the upper lip (moustache area).

It's really noticeable.
Is it because of the chapped lips I had?

It isn't sore/painful.

What can I/should I use?
I have some Bio-Oil at home - would scar treatments help?

Or is it some sort of pigmentation thing?

I've read around a bit and many products contain Hydroquinone...

Most well-advertised products don't specify if this is suitable for my problem.

Has anyone had/treated this problem?

(I have ringed the problem areas in the photo.)

Thanks, for your time, concern and advice.

It can be due to lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

The treatment includes various skin creams like hydroquinone, azelaic acid, corticosteroids, tretinoin cream and laser treatment.Apply hydroquinone cream on this scar and it should go away in a few days to months.If it still persists then you can go in for laser treatment, Chemical peeling or microdermabrasion.

Also take some vit B12 supplements and avoid lip licking.Also apply a good lip balm and sunscreens with spf 30 atleast half an hour before going out in sun.

If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.Bacterial and fungal infections have to be ruled out.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Thank you for your advice

I'll try some skin bleaching/scar treatment products.
Hydroquinone has been banned in the UK, where I live, so I'll probably stay away from it.

What strength B12 supplements do you recommend?

My local store will have 100µg, 500µg, and 1000µg. They are all in pill form and recommend one pill daily.

Thanks again.
can anyone recommend a product? Preferably not too expensive.

Thanks.

Bio-Oil?
Dr. Varon's Scar Treatment?
Hi ray,

Don't use any bleaching creams right now and you certainly don't need scar treatment.  The discoloration will mostly likely fade by itself in a few weeks up to several months.  Just use a hypogenic moisturizer with spf 30 on your skin and shea butter/bees wax lip balm in order to keep your lips moist so you don't instinctively lick your lips.

Drink a bit more water, take vitamin B pills especially B-2, and if you sleep on your side try sleeping on your back because drooling at night can cause an infection of the corners of your mouth especially this time of year.

Just keep the area moisturized and don't do anything to further irritate it.  Lets us know how it progresses.
I am 16 years old, asian girl have the exact same symtom. There is discoloration at the corner of my lips streaching dowm toward the bottom of my face. There is no pain or itch. It feels normal. The only sign that i have is the discoloration. I don't remember having it as a kid but the pigment is starting to get darker and more noticable as I age. I don't think it come from any makeup or any products that  am using now because it it was there before.

I am using proactive right now (i have mild acne).
Do you think the Proactive is too strong and might irritate the area more? Will whitening product helps?

Thank you so much.
Hi Ray,

I too have the same issue, Is ur problem resolved.If yes what did u do to cure.Please update