Discoloured patchy skin on torso. please help?

Hi since last summer, I've had these light and dark patches on my torso and chest. They are hardly noticeable on my chest but very evident on my stomach and I hate them so much. It started as a dark birthmark looking patch just under my right nipple but since then has spread over my torso. After a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that this is Tinea Versicolor and have been applying selenium sulfide 2.5% overnight for a week. It's really dried out my skin so I'm going to stop with the treatment as I've read that it usually takes a week. However, I have a gut feeling that this isn't TV and that it is something else. A typical Tinea Versicolor rash does not look like what I have. I am going to schedule an appointment with my GP but I'm so worried I will never be able to cure this. Anyone have any ideas on what this hideous thing could be?

here is a picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmp7zm88jjl81se/photo%2013-07-2015%2022%2027%2023.jpg?dl=0