Avatar universal

Dry, red skin around eyes.

Lately I have been getting dry skin, especially around my eyes. It's become inflammed and red underneath my eyebrows, and around to the outsides of my eyes. Whenever I put moisturizer on it, all it does is burn. I've tried multiple moisturizers, and nothing is working. I recently bought new acne medication, do you think I could be allergic to it? Or is it just because I need to drink more water or something like that?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or eczema.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.


It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
this is happening to me now...it started yesterday and my left upper eye lid was swollen aswell.  today the skin around both eyes is red, dry and burns when \i put moisturizer on it.  i thought it might be eczema cuz of the cold but why would it start only now?
Helpful - 0
I had the same reaction from contact with a Methylparaben, found in many lotions/cosmetics. My Dr gave me antihistamine tablets and Hydrocortisone cream.it is gradually going. You need to read all the ingredients in anything you use, try to make sure they are Paraben free. Hope this might help
Avatar universal
I have had similar symptoms a few times, turns out I get a reaction from Methylparaben(found in many cosmetics)I now always read the ingredients in anything I use,and try and find Paraben free products always.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I Have similar symptom's ,I am allergic to Methylparaben found in many cosmetics/lotions. Always make sure you read the ingredients on anything you use.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions