Dry skin patch

On my buttocks, I have a small dry skin patch, that feels a little like eczema. I have been worrying myself sick thinking that it may be herpes or something serious  It is not itchy at all and is not causing me any harm. But I have googled it (silly I know) and am now worried it is the herpes virus.  Any information that you have is gratefully received.

Many thanks

Kat

Three possibilities are there for this dry skin spot on buttocks. These include dry skin, eczema and psoriasis (less likely). You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be use. But it is available under prescription and should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist. Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.