Extremely itchy tattoo, over a year old.

Last October I got a tattoo on my left arm, it healed up nicely with no complications. Last week, out of no where my tattoo started to itch, and it became raised. It goes on and off, some days it won't itch at all,
And other days it's will itch so badly to the point where the entire tattoo is raised and red. It's mainly one side of my tattoo, not the entire thing. I'm very confused, and I fear it's an allergic reaction. I'm terrified that this will worsen. Could it be an allergic reaction? Or possibly dry skin?
It looks like an allergic reaction to the tattoo. You can take some antihistaminics like Benadryl or Claritin after consulting your doctor and see whether it helps. It may cause drowsiness, hence it is advisable to take them under medical supervision.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.