I am 30 year old male from south east asia. I have a recurring condition on my scalp. I have seen several dermatologists and nobody seems to know what exactly the issue is. One did a biopsy on my scalp and the results came in as Seborrheic Dermatitis like condition. Another one told me it was Folliculitis. Another one said it was a combinations of both. They have taken a culture as well. Results are not out yet from the culture.
Here are the details. How do I diagnose this condition? It has been four years and I still don't have a solution to this condition. This condition is limited to my scalp and seems to happen more often when I have lot of mental stress from work.
- It starts with several small white/red pimples on the scalp, painless, and progressively becomes swollen, reddish and then it eventually breaks.
- Doctor's diagnosis is "Folliculitis" or "Seborrheic Dermatitis" or some kind of Fungal infection but they are not sure.
- It responds very well to antibiotic called "Doxycycline". The scalp completely clears up within three to four days.
- After I stop antibiotic, it comes back within 2 weeks or so.
- First time I noticed this was sometime in mid 2009. The second time it showed up was in mid 2011. Both times it cleared up automatically. Recently, it has been coming more often.
- This condition is only on the scalp and nowhere else.