Dermatology Community
54k Members
Avatar universal

Folliculitis or Seborrheic Dermatitis or Something else?

I am 30 year old male from south east asia. I have a recurring condition on my scalp. I have seen several dermatologists and nobody seems to know what exactly the issue is. One did a biopsy on my scalp and the results came in as Seborrheic Dermatitis like condition. Another one told me it was Folliculitis. Another one said it was a combinations of both. They have taken a culture as well. Results are not out yet from the culture.

Here are the details. How do I diagnose this condition? It has been four years and I still don't have a solution to this condition. This condition is limited to my scalp and seems to happen more often when I have lot of mental stress from work.

- It starts with several small white/red pimples on the scalp, painless, and progressively becomes swollen,  reddish and then it eventually breaks.
- Doctor's diagnosis is "Folliculitis" or "Seborrheic Dermatitis" or some kind of Fungal infection but they are not sure.
- It responds very well to antibiotic called "Doxycycline". The scalp completely clears up within three to four days.
- After I stop antibiotic, it comes back within 2 weeks or so.
- First time I noticed this was sometime in mid 2009. The second time it showed up was in mid 2011. Both times it cleared up automatically. Recently, it has been coming more often.
- This condition is only on the scalp and nowhere else.

2 Responses
563773 tn?1374246539
Since the bumps are responding to antibiotics, it looks like folliculitis. Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph).

You should keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case. Also then get perifolliculitis ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar universal
i also have same
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions