Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.5k Members

'Fungal-like' nails

My fingernails and toenails are shrivelled since when I was young and have taken all measures to cure it but to no avail. It seems as if it is fungal but have tried applying gel liquid/cream but it didn't work. So, I suspected that it was my lack of vitamins. But, the condition is still there. I thought that my new nails will grow over time but it is still shrivelled-looking. Please help! Thanks.
1 Responses
1340994 tn?1374197577
I had nail and skin problems since childhood along with migraines, anxiety, depression, tummy trouble, aphthous ulcers, things that would come and go but I always had something weird and doctors thought I was just anxious.  Nope!  I had Celiac disease, and this causes nutritional deficiencies, which affects your nails.  Some nail problems do respond to tea tree oil application, but it takes months of applying the pure oil every day.  

Do get blood tests for Celiac before you try stopping gluten.  I know the doctors will assure you that you don't have it and you're crazy, but that's because it wasn't their idea and they are prideful.  
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions