Dermatology Community
53.7k Members
Avatar universal

Fungus or swimming pool itch?

After 3 days of swimming in a pool, I developed an itch all over my body, except my face which was not exposed to the water.  The itch appeared about a day after swimming.  It is worse during the night.  Did I get a fungus from swimming or is my skin reacting to chlorine in water?
2 Responses
Avatar universal
This an allergic reaction to the Pool Chemicals. Chlorene, And some others. Just take a shower and powder yourself  with cornstarch Powder. If it gets worse, some OTC cortisone should suffice!
563773 tn?1374250139
It looks like an allergic reaction to the chemicals used in swimming pool water especially chlorine. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).But they are available under prescription and should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist. Also wear cotton clothes.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions