Ginger For Hypopigmented Scars?
Can anyone attest that using fresh ginger works to heal/return pigment to hypopigmented scars? I was doing a search on hypopigmented scars and found a peculiar blog about how "passing over" fresh ginger onto hypopigmented scars will heal them - that this will return basically full pigment in 1 - 6 months.

Some quotes from the blog are:
------
I was referred by a friend to an old Chinese man who practices alternative medicine from his home. He told me to start using the juice of fresh ginger roots on my vitiligo.

Buy fresh ginger roots. Go home and wash the roots to rinse off soil and chemicals. Cut off a slice of the root and pass it over the discolored areas. Do not rub! When that slice dries out, cut another slice and do the same thing again. Do that everyday. Don't forget. You can also do it a couple of times a day. You DO NOT need to go out in the sun. You DO NOT need the ultraviolet sessions. You can QUIT everything else you're using.

(...)A healthy cell has to communicate with a neighbor discolored cell and 'tell it' to begin producing melanin. But the ginger roots have some type of property that 'teaches' the cells to begin producing melanin SPONTANEOUSLY, from inside out.
---------

The entire blog's 5 entries are devoted to this specific topic (ginger for hypopigmentation) and is written sort of gimmicky . But why would someone go at great lengths to make something this obscure up? Especially if it didn't work. There's nothing for sale on the blog and I can't see how the author would make any profilt.

I'm about to try this on a hypopigmented scar I've had for a few years now (on my penis), but wanted to know what some of you think. It wouldn't suprise me if works greatly and is hardly known at all, seeing as ginger basically costs nothing and no big companies can make a profit from its sale.

Also the site's quotes mention to use the juice of fresh ginger, but then says to simply "pass" the ginger over the scar until it dries (not rub). I'm not quite sure what that means.. Maybe I should just try squeezing a little juice on the scar?
Did you notice your regular skin tone around the hypopigmentation get darker at all?
I do too have some white scares on my arms. I am going to start using ginger starting tomorrow and will keep you posted in a month if I see any results. My dermatologist suggested I use Latisse (which is used for eyelashes). Has anyone used it?
Also for those who are trying ginger can you please post your updates :) thanks!
Did the ginger darken the skin around your hypo or your hypo too much?
i to have white spots from laser going to deep and am embarrassed. ihave a lot of marks is it better to get a liquid of the juice or actually use the root?
ok guys,
so i burnt my arms a few months ago due to a laser treatment and sheer stupidity of going while i had a tan. and at the time i thought nothing of it, so it wasnt properly treated. so now ive been left with lighter patches of skin on both arms and look like a freak of nature. and ever since ive been trying to find treatments. i first came across this ginger experiment, i tried passing it on the spots, twice a day for a couple weeks and saw little or no difference. but at the same time you cant really tell a difference, its almost like not realizing you grew an inch over a year. so anyways i tried looking for something else that can help. i thought maybe the patches were actually my real skin color and the surrounding areas were just hyperpigmented. so i tried rubbing lemon juice with a q-tip where my skin was darker. i tried that for about a week and found little difference.
then, i tried bio-oil since it was supposed to help improve the appearance of uneven skin tone. i would just apply it all over my arms and then started thinking maybe i was suposed to apply it to the lighter area.... i wasnt sure so i completely stopped using it.
at this point i was going crazy, i then came across this page and thought id maybe try the ginger again. and lately ive been peeling the outer ginger and cutting thin slices, almost paper thin, and just leaving it on the lighter patches until it dries out...... and i think it has been helping. i think. come to think of it, you could probably tape the ginger on so its like a ginger bandaid.
thennn my best friend suggested to actually try waxing around the lighter patches since waxing does remove dead skin cells, i went to a salon yesterday and explained my problem so the lady was careful not to go over the lighter hypopigmentation spots, and it actually really helped! the hypo pigmentation is still there but way better! its not such a drastic contrast anymore.
long story short, dont try the lemon juice, dont try the bio-oil. try the waxing, and if not, i would then continue using the ginger but keeping it on longer. i really dont think "passing over" it with the ginger will help very much. or you could even try both but i would wait a day or two after waxing so your skin doesnt get irritated from the ginger.
ill keep you guys updated with my results since no one will.
cheers!
I had small white patches all over my body due to a disease called PYTIRIASIS LICHENOIDES CHRONICA.and it left some white spots all over my body..ihave fair complexion so its very noticeable..i tried phototherapy but did not work..i am using ginger root juice for over a week..so far nothing has changed..but im still clinging to a hope..i will use it for 6 months and see if anything happens..
Please guys, update on the ginger treatment...
Just wanted to post about my experience.  I had hypopigmentation resulting from laser burns on my arms. The laser tech told me sometimes the color comes back after anywhere from 8 months to a year, if it comes back at all. She told me to keep my arms covered and not get any sun exposure. I tried vitamin e oil, aloe vera gel, and other things with no luck. After about 3 months of dealing with this, I went to the determatologist who specializes in African American skin. She told me exact opposite of the laser tech. She advised the sun stimulates the production of melanin in the skin and would be a benefit. Around the same time I also came across this blog about ginger root juice and decided to give it a try. I had a cruise in the upcoming weeks and wanted to try what I could since I wanted to wear sleeveless clothing.  I didn't tan or anything. I really just went about my normal day, in short sleeves, getting sun where I could, even hanging my arms over  the car door on a sunny day while driving. I also rubbed ginger root juice on my arms each night and let it dry. I would actually put the root in the freezer. I would cut a piece off and put in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds to thaw it. Once it was soft I would squeeze it to get the juice and rub the root on my arms. I noticed results within 3 weeks. I got plenty of sun on my cruise and my color really seemed to come back then. I would say my full color was back about 6 to 8 weeks after I started the ginger root & sun exposure.  Glad I went to the dermatogist, because I could still be dealing with that issue if I hadn't.
Hi .. I recently had a severe sun reaction over my entire body and I have hypo pigmentation everywhere .. Did the ginger juice work for you ? I'm really scared right now ...you're results would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks :)
Did the ginger treatment really work.
Did the ginger treatment really work.
I also suffer from hypo-pigmentation, I have seen all the dermatologist, got all the creams and gels but still no help. I have light spots on my cheeks, chin and neck; this is what I did, I stopped drinking sodas and juices. I drank only water and ate healthy for 1mnth, I'm talking fruits, nuts, salads grilled food etc. I then did a 7 day clense (7day clense pills for women) and took biotin and i started seeing improvements, I'm thinking its all the toxins in our system. I also used cetaphil lotion n sunscreen mixed together. My face was completely back to normal, then silly me started eating bad foods and drinking sodas again and needless to say my face is back to square one, so I'm on the clense right now and after that I will be taking a probiotic pill daily. I might try this ginger thing as well, but i also drink a lot of ginger tea... sooo...
It actually works. I put too much dark spot remover cream on my face so I had hypopigmented areas so I put a fresh slice of ginger on my face twice a day and it went away completely by 2 months. Thank god
I think i have post-inflammatory hypopigmentation. I haven't had it diagnosed but after hours of googling i think thats what is on my chest and shoulders. Having fallen asleep in the sun and burning very badly, i used flammzine to hep the blisters and i am now left with smooth but very discoloured patchy skin which has meant i can no longer wear low-cut tops of any kind or indeed anything without short sleeves. It is really getting me down and i have had in since May. It may have faded slightly but to be honest i see no marked improvements.

I am so worried incase the cells have burnt out - also, it wont cover with makeup properly and leaves a mess on all my clothes/sweats off and i am a paranoid wreck with it!

All i have been doing is exfoliating the area, moisturising well and keeping out the sun since it happened. I have read about Laser Skin Resurfacing which is for deeper pigmentation in the dermis but as i am no expert all i have really been doing is reading about it and not doing anything dramatic incase it is detrimental. I have had it for so long now i was hoping in 5 months it would have gone.

I am going to go to my Dr first and seek advice before i book anything, i have just spoken to them on the phone and they advised me to not go with any lazer therapy until they have seen it (as some lasers can actually cause hypo-pigmentation or make it worse?). The doc also said sometimes sunbathing can help this as it encourages the skin to produce melanin and this may even it out a bit.

If you could help me figure out what to do or the next steps to take i would really appreciate it.
Just wanna know if the ginger is really effective??I also suffer hypo pigmented scar due to wounds. It is a flat circle on my knees which is whiter than my actual color. The whiter color was surrounded by not so dark and is very visible.The scar is more than ten years old now and I dont know what to do. It really ruined my confidence and I want to get rid it off if possible until I read your post. I tried other stuffs like vitamin e and silicon gel but its not really effective for hypopigmentation. I also tried to make my skin whiter to blend in with the scar but this is so hard and costly. I also read the book of Sean Lowry -The Scar Solution and he recommends needling for hypopigmentation.I will really try this ginger and I hope this will work for me.Thanks.
OK, I just discovered this forum yesterday and tried out the ginger on several spots that were leftover scars on my elbows, by my armpit, and on my neck from cat's scratch disease.  The results were so exciting that I had to comment!  I've had these scars for over 10 years now.  Hopefully, it's not a delusion but I think that there has already been repigmentation on my elbows and armpit.  I can't really see the back of my neck...It's the biggest spot and the tape I used to hold the ginger fell of quickly so I figured I'd just focus on the other areas for the time being, but for this second application, I was sure to secure it there, too.  I like the burning and tingling sensation; it just feels like it's working:)  Will post a future update with, hopefully, a complete success story!  
I have a white circular scar on my neck.  I like all here, despise it.  its about 10 years old.  I started the ginger application about 5 months ago.  pretty much 3 times a day, morning , afternoon and night.   I unfortunately have seen no results.  
I grind my ginger in Nutribullet and then use a Q tip to apply to hypopigmented areas of my face -- hypopigmented areas caused by quacks who didn't know how to use dermabrasion or a laser.  
so its a paste that you kinda leave on all day?  how long have you been applying?  results?
I too, have suffered from hypo inflammatory pigmentation as well. This resulted in a hair removal laser treatment on my stomach, that I had done on Dec 15, 2013. I am south asian, so my tummy is slightly darker than an olive tone person. My spots are darker than my stomach, which is emotionally distressing at times. I've been using retisol A cream o.5% for awhile then I started to use vitamin E cream but it's not really doing much. My dermatologist said that it will take close to year for it to be gone, if I  continue to use the cream everyday and at bedtime.  I am very interested and relieved to know about Ginger root. I will have to get some this weekend and see what happens as the days goes by.  Will keep everyone posted.

So just to clear, it's best to shave the skin and stick in a blender to create paste…then place it on the scar? I think otherwise, it would be difficult to get the juice out of a root, non?

Could someone please answer the previous questions if the ginger darkens the normal skin tone?
Because some might have smaller dots of hypopigmentation, thus it would be easier to just pass the ginger all over the skin.
Thank you all in advance !
hi everyone,
i had gynecomastia surgery and unfortuneately, the scar at my right areola widened a bit at one place (maybe 1/2 an inch). The skin in this space is even and soft, but hypopigmented. having a white spot at the areola is a bad thing and i probably get it tattooed with permanent makeup to blend it in in half a year. but now reading about ginger, i will start a try. bought fresh ginger today and tabed a slice on the scar a few minutes. i will coninue doing this twice a day and see what happens.
jus tone question: do you press the juide out of the ginger and but the liquid at your skin or tab or rub the slice over it? what is the best method?
what about the idea of fixing a slice of ginger on the hypopigmented spot over night with (surgical) paper tape?
I suffer from post hypo pigmentation as well for the last 8 months. I have spots all over my beard and forehead. I think I need to also clean up my diet I think is causing this issue.I think I will follow your lead on this
OK everyone,

Finally I got a chance to see the posts here. I saw many people bothered by these scars and me too. I had a new scar on my hand and I've been looking on the net for effective methods sd well. I don't think the lemon juice would work, vitamin E might works a bit.

For the ginger... OK, in China we add that to cook with food and it really add more flavors and do a lot of things.. It's not common here in the US but people are getting to know it. In terms of helping removing scars, what it really does, from a traditional chinese medicine standpoint of view, it helps the blood circulation and thus the regeneration of the local skins and tissues. Applying the juice might work a bit, but what you really need to do is to rub it (after cutting) around the spot (you can cut a slice and discard it, then you can use the ginger again), I don't think it will darken your normal skin since it will just let those skin regenerate faster.

In short, combining ginger (which gives you slight burning sensation) with rubbing really helps for the skin to regenerate. It should work to some extent.
Thank you for clearing up some questions I had.  I am surprised at how common this problem is.  My white spots are from breakouts and then too much sun.  On my cheeks on both sides of my face....hiding them for years.  I started with a slice of ginger today and rubbed it on the spots.  Will do this twice per day morning and night and will report back if I notice any changes.
Hey! Everyone who done this experiment please update us :(

Hey everyone!

So I know this update is LONG over due but I guess better late than never?

I tried to experiment with Babchi oil...and I honestly did not keep up with it, you had to sit in the sun for about 15 minutes but during the time the UV rays are at their peak...well being that I live where its not sunny all the time, it made it slightly difficult to do, as well as having class around the time I needed to sit in the sun so I ended up stopping it as soon as summer ended

I have also been very on and off again with ginger root however, I will say this...it WORKS....

BUT here's the caveat, I do not know how long it will take for each person's skin to pigment...

In all honesty, my skin still has yet to get to the skin color I want but it is freckling, granted I have a lot more skin to pigment than most people [1 arm and a quarter of my back :( ]

I've also noticed that my upper arm does pigment a lot quicker than my lower arm.  Like there are actual patches on my upper arm but then my lower arm just seems to be one shade darker.  

Maybe the area of where you want to pigment has something to do with how long it will take...my sister who has nothing wrong with her skin, decided she would try it just to make her arms tanner and it literally took maybe a week for her arms to become a nicer tan color :-/

Now some people may not have a large area to re-pigment, (and for those of you who just have a spot, stop freaking out) what I do is I will take a grater, grate a little bit of ginger root, then squeeze the ginger root juice out of the ginger pulp then throw away the pulp.  I will then take a clean make-up brush and just brush it on....wayyyy less time consuming then cutting a sliver of the ginger root and putting it on one area of your skin
Also I make fresh juice every time

So finally to end this comment b/c it's getting kind of long now....

JUST TRY IT...you have nothing to loose! The only thing I say is that you need to have patience for this but let's be real, there's not much to hyperpigment our skin with that is effective so just give it a few months and do it twice a day, more if you can....a few months is nothing to the feeling we will get when our skin is back to normal

Good luck and I will try to update more!
when you have put the ginger on your skin do you rinse it off? I'm really worried that I might have been doing it wrong :-(
Hey Ghana! I just cutting thin slices then applying the ginger right on the white areas. Im not rinse it off ?

Is this wrong? anybody?

BTW thank you lovely789 for the interesting post!

everybody keep this thread alive :)
yea, appreciate this thread.  for any tip, advice, or success story.  unfortunately the end of this month will mark 1 year of applying ginger root with zero improvement.

have cut back somewhat from when I first started.  but still do it quite frequently,  certainly enough that should have seen something, anything!  was hoping to see at least some freckling that some have reported.

oh well , its some what part of a routine for me now, will probably  apply in some fashion for ever.  or until  permanent make up  or plastic surgery.
kid22, Im sorry that it didn't  work out well for you :/ I have been using ginger rots for maybe 3 weeks, and I think it is to early to say if it works for me or not... but I will definitely give you all a update in a month or so.

hey. after 2 month of use. I will say that I got no result at all :(

I am so sorry your going through this. Yes it is your work. Here is what i would do, for you. I also did the same thing had white and red spots everywhere. First Keep in mind this is not going to work over night. Second you are going to need a k van d makeup for the duration of the healing. I am still working on my white spots but they are manageable and I have a drastic improvement tho. Get three derma rollers. one .5 one 1.0 and one 1.25. Then get your ginger root and at a local natural store some organic ginger root juice. If you have insurance ask you dermatologist for a prescription of elidel cream. Now be gentle on your face. I use coconut oil remove makeup and I use proactive plus face cleaner. but if you use murad or anything else that keeps it clean that will be fine. use your derma roller the .5 every other night, follow those instructions then start putting on the juice after and passing the root slices over the top. At night I layer on elidel. in the morning I was my face let it dry and pass the ginger root again. If I am not working I do the same again mid afternoon. Once a week I do a 1.25 derma roller after applying a deep numb, again follow instructions. i still use the ginger root and I layer a nice layer of shea butter mixed with ginger juice and elidel cream on my face and massage it in. I have seen great results. i also go out in the sun without sunscrean for five min in the mornings with a fresh face and just allow my face to warm up. great for helping to reactive the melanin. The hyper pigmentation you have will heal quicker with the use of the derma roller. maybe a week and a half two weeks and the hypo maybe a month. Now I would image that after a few weeks the katvonD will cover fully your face discoloration. especially since the red should be gone. If non of that works you can whiten everything and where a lot of sunscreen to keep from ever getting red or tan which will show your spots terribly, fyi....Hope that helps. Good luck.
Wow~ This is such great information!

Has anybody been able to see any changes or improvements with their skin through using the ginger? It seems very interesting. :)

I have a history of eczema since I was a baby. I'm19 years old.
Though I have the rashes under control (finally) through avoiding what triggers that itchiness, I do have a bit of hypopigmentation in my inner elbows from all the avid scratching (another hunch may be that it was a side effect from some steroid creams?).

It doesn't bother me so much, but it's it bothers other people.
I constantly have people approaching with products that can "heal" my scars (and eczema from before). I am very skeptical from the many previous negative experiences where my condition would worsen rather than get better. I'd rather go the route of natural healing to take care of my body.
If I can take care of the scars, I'd like to try :)

I am interested in trying the ginger :) Right now, I have a bit of a flare up, but once my skin is healed a bit better (probably in a week), I will get on the wagon and check if this ginger remedy works ^^
Please continuing posting any updates! It is much appreciated.
"Great reading and a good tip. Didn't imagine how a piece of ginger can do something about hyperpigmentation and scars. I will be including this along with the derma rolling treatment i'm undergoing. You should try them too, i'm having the treatment I've got from http://www.belhalla.com and the results can   are amusing.
has anyone tried mixing ginger juice with shea butter or honey?
Hi I did tried to use Ginger for more than 6 month ..I have Vitiligo , I can say that its working for me very well ,more than half is gone ..So you can try too .I hope it will help :) for you .Good luck .
Hi Everyone
I would like to share my experience with ginger juice for white scars/ hypopigmentation. I ended up with a white patch under my chin after over using a whitening face mask. The dermatologist recommended folic acid and B complex supplements which helped but the ointments prescribed wasn't working and too strong.
After reading up on hypopigmentation, I decided to give ginger juice a go, this was my routine, turmeric and mustard oil for 20 mins on the white patch followed by ginger juice once in the morning and evening. I let the ginger juice dry out and usually re apply in the afternoon.
I saw results in little as two days and by the first week, it was hardly visible. The white patch seemed to be blending in with my skin and producing melanin. I'm going to continue till it's completely healed. I hope everyone gives it a try and be patient as I'm sure the results depend on the severity of the hypopigmentation. It's a little miracle considering I thought my skin would never go back to producing melanin. Good luck .
I just botched my face with a Tca chemical peel. The peel left huge white patches on my cheeks, and given Im a black woman with a dark Carmel complexion, it's extremely noticeable and traumatizing. I'm going to try your routine. Did you wash off the turmeric oil and mustard oil before applying the ginger? And did you use ginger root or ginger juice? I need these spots to produce melanin.
Hey guys so I was just thinking, do you think it would be helpful if we used ginger root oil?  I figured it's more potent but I don't have much experience with essential oils or ginger root oil....any thoughts?

Also I ended up buying a dermaroller or something like it as someone else suggested on this forum and I think its helping...I don't really have much time so I'm never consistent but whenever I am, I do get more brown spots appearing...so something else to consider...
When you use the dermaroller, do you expose your skin to the sun or do you simply roll the roller on your skin ?
Any advice would be helpful. I am really stressed out and desperate myself.
I don't, but I probably wouldn't even if I got the chance (it's snowing where I live) simply b/c I would be afraid of UV damage but if you think it would help I don't see an issue with trying just a small part of your body
Hello! my daughter has Vitiligo and we read a link about how  Calendula Ointment can help for white spots and vitiligo.We bought de one from the company Boiron .(it is made from Calendula flower). The results are pretty amazing, the spots faded very quickly. There are oils and gels, we try a few different brands but that one so far is the best . Stay out of the sun and wear sunblock with titanium oxide. Good luck.Ahhh I almost forgot  in Cuba they found the vitiligo cure do your research. I hope its helpful! good luck!
Due to too much breakout and scars ,I applied garlic on my both cheek but unfortunately due to garlic I suffered from a second degree burn which caused me a lot of medical attention,mental stress and over all I can't express how depressed I was.I applied so many cosmetics to cover the hypopigmentation on my both cheeks.whenever I looked at the mirror I was terrified,my self confidence broke into pieces.one day after suffering straight 1 year I came across an article that said ginger can effectively help.with hypopigmentation.It's been only a week I am using fresh ginger juice on my cheeks and I can say 50% of the scars are already gone.people pls give it a try .I promise you won't regret.It's amazing...
I'm trying ginger root juice on my lightened skin & if anything it looks like it's further lightening the skin. Any idea why that might be?
Ginger does work for scars and white marks. It has been known as a skin discoloration remedy in China for thousands of years. I recently came across a scar gel that has fresh ginger as its main ingredient - hypohil. Try it out if you are too lazy to buy ginger every day. It also works better than plain ginger as it has other things in it like aloe vera and onion which are very good for scars and are ingredients from known scar gels like Mederma.
Yes, ginger does work but it takes time and requires a routine. I used it on my face for about 4 months and definitely saw a difference. The problem was that I stopped because I got lazy and I wish I hadnt. I'm  going to start again and what I do is cut ginger in half and rub it on the effective areas every night after showering. Overall in my experience it does work!!
Yes, ginger does work but it takes time and requires a routine. I used it on my face for about 4 months and definitely saw a difference. The problem was that I stopped because I got lazy and I wish I hadn't. I'm going to start again and what I do is cut ginger in half and rub it on the effective areas every night after showering. Overall in my experience it does work!!
guys I would like to share this with you I done hair removal laser and I started to have white parts under my chin and next to my mustache it started very small after 4 months it grew and now it is proper noticeable. I tried everything creams that doctors subscribed nothing worked I even tried papaya. after reading about ginger I tried it and it is the only thing that gave me results within less than a week. basically you apply it to the affected area twice a day morning and before bed. you cut a slice and make sure to with a knife cut through it to get the juice. hold the ginger slice on the affected area for at least 15 minutes you will get a slight burn but that means its working. also I ordered herbal tablets from India called (Karbogi Tablets) they have melanin which your skin needs to produce color. also I started to drink a lot of water and eat a lot of fruits. hope this helps i you need any help you can email me on ***@**** and I be happy to help as I know how this feels. all best
I had hyperpigmentation above my top lip from tweezing the hair. Applied Himalaya Bleminor cream to lighten it - horrible mistake! My skin is light brown skin above my top lip is near white so you can just imagine how bad it looks. :/ had this for 1 year 2 months now. I've been using ginger & red clay for 2 weeks now and it looks like the skin is actually lightening.. :/  confusing this is - some websites say ginger lightens skin, some say it darkens it and brings back pigment... very demoralising situation. Anyone got anymore updates on ginger for hypo ?
Yes it worked but too well.  I read all the comments on this thread and decided to do it.  No one gave instructions on the duration.  I put the ginger on my hypo overnight for a week. I even used sticky tape to hold it down.  I over did it and burned my skin or encouraged too much melamin.  I originally had a small white patch on my stomach but now i have a bigger brown patch instead. I wish i never did it.  It wasnt so bad to begin with.