Growth on upper back/shoulder

A few days ago, I noticed a small lump had formed on my upper back, just above the shoulder blade. At the time it was basically the same tone as the rest of my skin, but felt like something hard about the size of a pea just under the skin. Over the past few days it has gotten rather red (with tenderness and slight redness surrounding it for about an inch) and is somewhat painful when pressed. Some of the redness and pain I am willing to attribute to my own worrying and poking at it, but I am not sure.

It has me a bit worried, and rather uncomfortable. Is this lump something to worry about? And, is there a way that I could likely treat it without going to the doctor, as I am extremely broke?

Thank you.
hai,

A lumb with redness and pain means it may get infected,so soon do consult with doctor and try medicine.This is better way to avoid further problems.thank you.
From the symptoms it looks like a cyst. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected,Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.