Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.8k Members

Growth on upper back/shoulder

A few days ago, I noticed a small lump had formed on my upper back, just above the shoulder blade. At the time it was basically the same tone as the rest of my skin, but felt like something hard about the size of a pea just under the skin. Over the past few days it has gotten rather red (with tenderness and slight redness surrounding it for about an inch) and is somewhat painful when pressed. Some of the redness and pain I am willing to attribute to my own worrying and poking at it, but I am not sure.

It has me a bit worried, and rather uncomfortable. Is this lump something to worry about? And, is there a way that I could likely treat it without going to the doctor, as I am extremely broke?

Thank you.
2 Responses
hai,

A lumb with redness and pain means it may get infected,so soon do consult with doctor and try medicine.This is better way to avoid further problems.thank you.
563773 tn?1374246539
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
From the symptoms it looks like a cyst. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected,Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions