Avatar universal

Have You Heard Of This Cream?

The skin on my feet has cracked, peeled, and bubbled ever since I can remember.

Fungus & allergies have been ruled out, and I even tried photo chemotherapy for exfoliative keratolisis but it didn't work :( It also has never spread anywhere else, despite peeling the skin off daily.

I went to a spa where a woman said her client had the same issue, and was prescribed some kind of cream called 17% (something that begins with L and ends in -ine) but I can't figure out what this is and I no longer have health insurance to experiment with the dermatologist anymore.

Thank you for you help!!!
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
563773 tn?1374246539
17% is a high potency for any cream (maybe steroid). Other than that, soak feet or hands in warm soapy water to soften cracks. Then rub with a pumice stone and apply some moisturizer. During the day, hydrate and protect feet with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. You can wear socks after applying the cream also.An insole or a heel cup may be used to keep the fat pad from expanding sideways. This is worn in the shoe and can be very effective at prevention.
If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing

Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
thank you for this response. No doctor I've seen has been able to fix the issue but Vaseline helps temporarily. It's so frustrating not knowing what is wrong, and maybe even more frustrating to know that someone has found a "cure" but I can't figure out what it is :(
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I have no idea whether it is the right treatment for you, or how well it works, but is it possible that you are trying to remember L-Carnitine?  I found it described here:


It is an amino acid.

I am researching someone's similar symptoms, but I am not a medical professional.  Current best guess on the other person's diagnosis is Dyshidrosis, which you might want to ask the Dermatologist about if they have not ruled that out or solved your problem yet.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Thank you so much for this answer - are you looking for a friend, family member, patient?

I just ordered L-Carnatine to see if it works and will let you know!

Truly thank you so much - I hope you find the answer and will keep you posted on this. If you come up with anything else, I'm more than happy to try it. I'll do anything to find a cure! So far I've tried Vitamin A, Hemp oil, and all kinds of lotions, vaseline, etc but those only moisturize for a few hours. It does seem like my feet are dehydrated nearly all of the time.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions