Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Herpes HSV1 vrs. HSV2 infection rates

I've read conflicting claims on the rates of oral and genital
herpes infection rates regarding HSV1/HSV2.  Some claims
exist that as much as 30 per cent of genital infections
are HSV1 leaving 70 percent as HSV2 whereas others claim
95 per cent plus are HSV2 leaving only 5 per cent for HSV1.

The same is true for Oral infections, Herpes Whitlow etc.

Does any reliable data exit concerning the amount of HSV1/HSV2
infection rates for oral, gential, Herpes gladitorium, and
Herpes Whitlow; and if so what are the numbers.

Do you know of any studies on the subject and where can they
be obtained?

3 Responses
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
One recent study from France states that 20-40% of genital herpes is caused by HSV1.  Other studies no doubt differ, depending on the population being studied and other factors.  From the standpoint of the patient who has it, which type it is makes little difference.  No doubt Dr. Handsfield at the STD Forum here at Med Help would have the latest data.
Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Avatar universal
Followup:  What has been your experience regarding Herpes
Whitlow in terms of estimated percentage of HSV2 and HSV1????

I realize in practical terms it may not make much difference to the infected person, but I was researching the subject
and was looking for info.

thx for any help you can give me.
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Sorry, I don't have any experience with typing of whitlow.  Only seen a couple of cases in all the years....

Dr. Rockoff
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions