Herpes and Babies

Two part questions. Can herpes lay dormant in your body for years, or does it appear within days or weeks? Mine first appeared on my arm and most occurrances appear there. How did this happened? Can you transfer the virus to an infant if he/she touches your mouth, rather you are having an outbreak or not. My son often tries to grab my mouth and sometimes puts his hand close to his mouth. It now looks like he has a scar, sore, blister on his top upper lip. PLEASE, PLEASE tell me that this is not herpes. I don't kiss him, but he tries to kiss me and I always pull away.

THanks

Oral herpes is an infection caused by the herpes simplex virus. The virus causes painful sores on the lips, gums, tongue, roof of the mouth, and inside the cheeks. It also can cause symptoms such as fever and muscle aches. People contract herpes by touching infected saliva, mucous membranes, or skin.

After the herpes virus infects you, it will proceed to 3 stages: Primary infection wherein the virus enters your skin or mucous membrane and reproduce; Latency, the virus moves to a mass of nervous tissue in the spine and reproduces again and becomes inactive; and Recurrence,  wherein certain stresses, emotional or physical, the virus may reactivate and cause new sores and symptoms.

With regards to your baby, it is difficult to conclude that this has to do with herpes. An evaluation by his doctor is needed to reach a diagnosis. Don't be too hard on yourself. Having this condition should not stop you from showing affections to your baby. I do understand your concern regarding the matter, but it would really help to discuss this with your doctor to know and understand.

Take care and keep us posted.