I have a mole

I have a mole on my face, a flat black nevi. If i got it removed, would it result in scarring?

Depending on the technique  used and the location of the mole, there may or may not be scarring. If there is a scar, it may fade in time. However, it is strongly recommended that you have your mole examined by a doctor who has experience in treating moles, related skin conditions and skin cancer to help determine if the mole is cancerous or not. Then you ask  for  a referral to a cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist.

The type of mole being removed determines what technique is used. Depending on the technique, stitches may or may not be used. For excision of the mole, the surgeon uses a scalpel to cut the mole and a border of good skin surrounding it. For the procedure that involves no stitches, a scalpel is used to shave the mole allowing it to be flush with the surrounding skin. Then using an electrical instrument, the doctor cauterizes the area to stop any bleeding. Topical antibiotic is applied to reduce risk of infection. Shaving removes the protruding surface of the mole, but it can leave mole cells beneath the skin and may grow back. Laser treatment is another method of mole removal which does not result to scarring. This is used for superficial moles only. Have your mole evaluated and discuss with your doctor  which treatment option is best for you.

Take care  and keep us posted.