Invisible Bugs crawling on skin? Strange sensation...

I posted this info before, but it was a reply to someone else's similar post...

I am a 23 year old healthy male. I recently had a full physical and the results were that I am in above average health. I have no diseases, do not use drugs, but drink on occasion.

Anyways, just started noticing these strange symptoms, within the past few weeks. Nothing "brought it on" so to speak that I can tell of. It's been going on longer, but less noticeable, now since I do not talk sleeping meds any more, it's all that I can notice...

Symptoms are strange sensations on my skin. The sensation is it feels like there are "invisible bugs" crawling on, and/or biting my skin. No actual bites, rashes, bugs, sores, or anything of the nature is ever visible. Occurs more at night, while laying down than any other time. The sensation occurs throughout my entire body, no area is exempt from this sensation, and it seems to be completely random, at times I'll feel it on my arm, then my face, then leg, then arm again, etc, no pattern. The sensation "goes away" once I touch the area (either itch it, brush at it as if there WAS a bug I am brushing off, slap it, or touch it in any way...)

I've heard that various forms of dry skin, or minor allergic reactions to soaps could produce such a problem... I have not changed body soaps, shampoos, or laundry detergent types in quite a while (well before such symptoms) I do not have dry skin, or any type of rash.

Ruled out dry skin

I've read about "Morgellons" (years ago, before it was a mainstream idea) and don't think that is what I have... I have no lesions, sores, boils, wounds, or anything of the sort, and no fibers protruding from anything.

Ruling out Morgellons.

I had read about the possibility of it being bed bugs (from reading sites like this online) so I tore my bedroom apart looking for signs of an infestation, and saw NOTHING. My mattress is brand new, the apartment I live in is also pretty close to brand new. Never the less, not a thing was found, searched mattress, box spring, walls near bed, everything.

Ruled out bed bugs.

The only other thing I've seen it could be is Restless Leg Syndrome. NOT sure about that, but I did hear that that sensation in the legs is a symptom of that, and that in some cases, the skin crawling sensation can occur all over the body, not just the legs, and still be considered RLS.

Undecided about RLS possibility.

The only other things I have going on that MAY be related, is an upper back pain/numbness... unknown cause. Been going on for years though. No diagnosis.

So basically I'm out of ideas, and about to go insane. It's terrible at night not being able to sleep because of that feeling, and not being able to sleep with my girlfriend because I keep her awake with my constant moving around and itching...
Welcome to the forum!
A crawling sensation in skin is seen in people who are very anxious and stressed out. Very dry skin (you rule this out) and disorders of thyroid gland all can precipitate a crawling sensation. The other possibility is Morgellons disease often mimics scabies. The disease is  believed to be caused by weak immune systems in people that have contracted the tick-borne Lyme Disease at some point in their life. It can also be a fungal infection like Tinea corporis.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
At night when I lydown them I get this feeling
I had my thyroid levels checked recently, it was like a full system physical, they checked for just about everything, all stds, blood sugar, everything. I just got out of the military so I guess the VA hospital wanted to rule out everything that ISN'T wrong with me, lol. So all the bloodwork and tests came back that I was perfectly fit, with no physical "conditions" so to speak.

So, I'm now kind of leaning towards the "Restless Leg Syndrome" conclusion... I know the symptoms are worse at night, and while not moving, I toss and turn all turn, and have leg and arm "spasms" both while laying down, sleeping, and sometimes just during the day. By spasm I mean a sudden, uncontrollable, jerking movement, like my leg kicking out really quick out of the blue...

I've heard about Morgellons, but to my knowledge have never had Lyme disease (and I think that is one of the diseases you'd know if you get)

I DID however have a completely unexplained rash on both of my ankles for about a year straight... nothing worked on it, and no Dr. ever told me what it could possibly be, they scraped the "sores" to check for scabies or any type of mite/parasite what have you, and came back with nothing. It was the most unpleasant skin condition I've ever encountered (worse than this sensation is now) because it was itchy and painful 24/7, it LOOKED horrendous, like I had some kind of terrible disease, and left scars on my ankles. At the time I didn't have the wherewithall to personally "inspect" the sores to see if they exhibited Morgellons like characteristics.
A relative of mine had people stay at her house that I believe gave her scabies.  She passed them on.  The doctor never did see the bugs on us, but gave elomite and we had all the clothes, sheets, etc. washed in hot water.  Scabies do tend to cause itching more at night.  We got better after the treatment.
Dear Haywoodusmc,

I understand,I have morgellons and am an advocate working for others.
Please see.
www.morgellonsfocus.com

www.howicuredmorgellons.com

Hope I can help you in some small way, this is not from nerves,

Pamela Mae
I have this exact same sensation! It has been driving me nuts for 5 months. I really hope this is RLS... Been to a dermatologist and he thought it was scabies. Was not. Still looking for an answer... Not Morgellons, not scabies, not dry skin. Need help.
Hey all! I've been dealing with this awful sensation for about 5 years now. It does happen usually at night when I'm trying to sleep, and usually in my legs but at the same time isn't limited to just there.
I found that shaving my legs or waxing the hell out of them and sleeping in chilly or cold bedsheets really helped reduce it. (seriously dudes out there with this, try it, even just once. Your hair will grow back)
While I'm not a doctor or anything like that, I think what it might be is the ever so slight movement in our body hair that is disturbed by a fan, the AC vent, or even just shifting position as the hairs spring back into place.

Hope this helps some of you guys!!
I have sort of come to this conclusion about the fan and hairs at times as well, except then it happens on a part of my body that is under the sheets! I do find that keeping my body hair and nails trimmed short helps with the problem, but lately its really back on the back of my neck, behind my ears and around my chin in one room, then on my *** cheeks and legs in another room. I feel like I am losing my mind, no one else experiences it and maybe it is psychological. I don't know how much more of this I can take and often contemplate taking drastic steps to end it, which I won't so don't think I am suicidal per se, I just mean it is THAT BAD that I feel so entirely overwhelmed by it. I like life and want to find a solution to this ordeal which it seems many other people experience like I do!
I have been dealing with the same symptoms for three years now. Crawling sensations, biting, and itching mostly at night. I have tried everything-scabies treatment, allergy tests, a/c duct cleaning, bombing house, nothing has worked. I contacted my local health department who said there are numerous mites and parasites that they are not even aware of yet. I do not see anything visible as far as bites, but I always find bumps almost like insect bites in my scalp, usually the back of the head. This always occurs when the condition is very bad. I have had relatives experience the same symptoms when they sleep at my home. I have come to the conclusion that this is a type of mite/parasite that no one is familiar with in the U.S. If someone is having the same symptoms and has found the problem, please let me know.
Hi my name is Kelly. You sound like what I'm going thru right now. No one in my family for some reason is feeling it. There blaming my meds cause I had heart surgery and many other surgeries. But been in the same meds for years. It started for me in late January. We had really warm weather this one week and all of a sudden it happened. I have been racking my brain to figure out what changed. I received a yarn Blanket from a friend. My family pulled suit cases out of the shed. I think something was brought in the house. But no one else but me is feeling it. I've read many articles that if your sick or I'll , they attack people like that. Which is me. I even had a bug guy come out he found nothing. I have one other thing no one brings up. Only at night most nights I hear popping on my pillow. As if jumping around on pillow. But see nothing. Noise is only when I lean into pillow or items like mattress. I have to wear head phones to sleep. I even started tubbing my clothes and at night I can hear jumping off the tubs. But see nothing. I finally got my hubby to hear them on the tubs. So I know I'm not crazy. Which I started considering. It drives a person nuts and I'm so stressed. I feel like I'm fighting a war of nothing. But I wanted to know what state you live in and if you hear anything with this problem. I live in Conneticut. Thanks for listening.  
man..Im glad Im not the only one..Ive been dealing with this for about 3 years and I just try to cope with it...my pops took me to a doctor and the doctor was acting as if I were crazy..so I stopped talking about it to people.....ever since that day I've just been secretly coping withit and not complaining about it, but man...its so crazy that something like this exist...its almost a mariacle to find out that Im not the only one dealing with it..Haywood I wsh you the best my friend...because this feeling is so creepy and such a mystery that All kinds of extreme ideas have crost my mind...when u feel like no one in the world can help u it will drive u to insanity and make u think about suicide and other ways to escape it........I mean who wants to live in a body that feels as if it were being consumed by nats that are entirely invisable...if u guys ever find a solution please help me because Im also running out of ideas...and I'm the type person that hates bugs and things like that so it completely freaks me out and is the grossest thing I have ever felt...hopefully we can find a way to help eachother my friend  
I have the exact problem as you describe it.  6 different illitrate doctors could not give me the right answer.  The last one said it is scabies, but I don't believe it because I share bed with family member, so why they don't get scabies?  unfortunatly we all just talk about it.  I saw many web sites and in each one of them many people describe there itch in the same way.  Some opportunists try to sale snake oil on internet to make a buck.  But there is no any educated  doctor to give any explenation.  
I too have the exact problem and have had it for about two years.  I have tried almost every product on the market which has had various side effects.  Most recently I visited a Health store and they directed my to this product called Black Walnut & Wormwood herbal supplement.  I have found that this product seems to make them less active on your body when comsumed with some type of liquids.  I'm not saying that this is the cure, however it makes the crawling and biting subside for a period of time.
I suffer in EXACTLY the same manner, for two years now. This is the worst in my bed!
It used to be brutal 24/7 but now it just mainly bothers me in bed. Sometimes bearable, but not today!

I can sleep elsewhere with much less difficulty. I'm going to bug-bomb again today, although I have no evidence of infestation. It's been a long time since I've tried to, and I'm not really convinced its bugs, but it feels JUST LIKE IT, so how can I rule it out?

Also, many doctors. Have tried many anti-psychotics to treat delusion to no effect; at least now the doctor belives that I'm not imagining it.

I don't have much advice to give; it seems somewhat better the more frequently I launder my sheets. I slept on the leather couch all week last week, so I neglected to to them, and I imagine that is why I'm in my current predicament.
I agree, the more I wash my sheets, I can sleep throughout the night. I use borax, ammonia and a fabric softener. I've even had to iron the bed linen with starch. My husband continues to feel sensations of crawling in his hair and face. It has been 2 years since we've moved into our new house. There has been a big improvement, but sometimes the crawling and pin pricks start again, and I will have a sleepless night. We've also tried using a black light but the only thing we've seen are fibers that resemble lint. Our AC duct has been cleaned, we've used cedar fogger, had our home tested for black mold, and had pest control inspect for bed bugs and mites. We have no answers and it's frustrating. We've gone on vacation and found that whatever this is has traveled with us. My husband has been to a dermatologist and used the expensive creams. We've been treated for scabies by our physician. The cream lessened the crawling sensations.
If anyone can reach a conclusion on this mysterious crawling, pin pricking, no see-um, Houdini "bug" please point us in the right direction so that we can put an end to this and enjoy our home.
I just experienced it! Now I have to say that I experienced it before in my last apartment, we had bed bugs, so I sprayed the bedroom. I think I might have sprayed too close to the mattress because I was kept up all night! But that was about three years ago and a different mattress! Now to have it happen all of the sudden out of nowhere again? I cleaned my bedroom, washed my linens, but I noticed what might look like a bite mark. Do I have to get rid of another mattress??
Bird Mites!  So many people do not realize how bad bird mites can be!  They crawl in ac ducts or windows from pigeons.  And even a year or two later even if the birds are gone they will come back. They are only active at night and like bed bugs can travel with you when you move (they can with stand freezing and hide out in clothing). They give you the creepy crawly sensation but are not diagnosed.  Uh!  horrible.  You must wash all your clothes and sheets in hot, hot water and spray lysol everywhere.
Had same problem and went to my GP and many ER's. They just gave me the med. for scabies and I did 2 rounds and nothing. I went to the ER again and this one doctor said it could be my nerves/anxiety and I was like whatever. Well he put me on xanax for 2 weeks and within a few day the crazy itching was going away. I had to be on anti anxiety medicne for a while. It sometimes comes back, nothing gets rid of it but, an anti anxiety med.
I've had a similar problem for the past year or so. I initially had a case of hives (my MD wasn't able to determine the cause of that) and later developed the itch/crawling skin symptoms, which have persisted. Feels like I'm being bitten by bugs on different areas of my body. Worse at night and during "quiet times" (I guess when I'm more likely to be aware of the sensations). No visible rash. Touch it and the itchiness goes away; but a few seconds later it appears somewhere else. I'm 54 years old and never had a problem this frustrating before.
Would be great to hear from anyone who's had some success in dealing with this problem...
Im freaking glad that im not the only one experiencing this. It happened like a week ago which in turn one of my biggest regret in life. Taking out a matress out of my store room and slept on it for like an hour. Immediately i could feel those damn sensation; crawling; moving around; but not that itching;; up and down all over your body. That point I thought it was because some minor skin stuffs and the next day i started to take it seriously after experiencing the same thing on my own bed. My initial notion is that some microscopic bed bugs had been transferred to by body by that bed and could be easily exterminated by means of hot water and aerosols. By all means these didnt help. Then i consulted my doctor and was told its due to allergic reaction. I had an allergic shot  and given some meds. Somehow the intensity or could described by frequency of the sensation has reduced significantly two or three days after. Now im already a week, i could feel the intensity increase gradually, not severe compared as before though.  As a result, it has taken a toll on my sleep. Every night, these piece of **** kept me frantic and stayed alive. Ive tried to focus my mind on calm, peace, serenity these bulls to aid me sleep despite the presence of the sensations; but to no avail. Even a small tingling struck on my skin could wake my conscious up for as long as 5 minutes. Imagine that. Im opting for sleeping pills, if that does any good. If anyone found a solution however, please do let me know.. I want to sleep
same things happening to me/ after a few seconds after turning out the light and laying down I start feeling these things here and there, especially around my ears/back of neck, upper shoulder area/ on my face, which drives me crazy -on my leg, foot, arm (it's intermittent)can't sleep much any more, have been wondering different things/ could someone put something in our air-conditioner air handler outside? even have thought of some type of middle eastern invisible crazy bug/ hay I've never had anything like this before -don't show any bites, it's like these little things just want to drive me crazy and take away my sleep which deprives me during the day.  we did have a squirrel in our home last year, he got in through our fire place and since then this has occurred so I'm thinking maybe it's the bird mite/  maybe some of you have dogs and they are picking things up outside (like bird mites) and bringing them indoors.  if I find a cure I'll let you know, please do the same so we can all get a good nights sleep and feel normal again:)   I'm going to be completely honest, I even feel them in my noise/ although for a long time it felt like something was in my ears -had them checked and nothing was there. I had 1 occasion when I felt one go into my eye (while my lid was closed:(  and felt a sensation in my ear.   what on earth is this!!  it's a crazy world out there/ have been wondering if our soldiers are coming home with this problem, have heard alot about many of them committing suicide, although I can only imagine what war could do to someone.  ok, I've said enough
i have had this problem in the past and the only way to get rid of it is flea powder. theres a really strong flea powder thats sold at walmart in the pet isle. it by far took care of the problem years ago when i first had this issue and now that i move into a new apartment i run into this crap again. its a strong pet flea powder that works, also you have to use it around your house and wash your bedding with hot clorox thats safe for colors. as far as it being on your skin and crawling around you have to use either witch hazel or green rubbing alcohol to kill it on your body. its very tough to get it off you. not recomended but ive heard that the amonia content in windex helps kill this disgusting flea/ bed bug infestation. borax powder i hears is also usefull. my self im going to try to experiment with many things to find a cure for this crappy problem because i work night shift and i cant sleep because i get attacked while sleeping durring the day. ps. also put a clear bowl of water mixed with soap with a light above the center and see if it doesnt catch something
I'll be quick as I need to get back to cleaning:(   some things that will get rid of these disgusting freaky invisible bugs.   get a prescription for Permethrin Cream 5%.   other suggestions are tenting your house/ we've been bombing it but not working as of yet due to when we leave our home they are living on us  (the creapy things)   a natural and very good product is (look it up on line!)   Neem oil products, and try mixing it with Turmeric (a spice at your grocer) again, look it up on line -you can google Neem oil and Turmeric and do some reading on it/ they are harmless but supposed to do the job if you stay consistent with applying the paste, which I think I read like 3 - 5 days in a row.  my house has never looked so clean but too bad there is this disgusting invisible thing lurking to make me continue cleaning!!!  I'd like to give them my bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!