Invisible Bugs crawling on skin? Strange sensation...

I posted this info before, but it was a reply to someone else's similar post...

I am a 23 year old healthy male. I recently had a full physical and the results were that I am in above average health. I have no diseases, do not use drugs, but drink on occasion.

Anyways, just started noticing these strange symptoms, within the past few weeks. Nothing "brought it on" so to speak that I can tell of. It's been going on longer, but less noticeable, now since I do not talk sleeping meds any more, it's all that I can notice...

Symptoms are strange sensations on my skin. The sensation is it feels like there are "invisible bugs" crawling on, and/or biting my skin. No actual bites, rashes, bugs, sores, or anything of the nature is ever visible. Occurs more at night, while laying down than any other time. The sensation occurs throughout my entire body, no area is exempt from this sensation, and it seems to be completely random, at times I'll feel it on my arm, then my face, then leg, then arm again, etc, no pattern. The sensation "goes away" once I touch the area (either itch it, brush at it as if there WAS a bug I am brushing off, slap it, or touch it in any way...)

I've heard that various forms of dry skin, or minor allergic reactions to soaps could produce such a problem... I have not changed body soaps, shampoos, or laundry detergent types in quite a while (well before such symptoms) I do not have dry skin, or any type of rash.

Ruled out dry skin

I've read about "Morgellons" (years ago, before it was a mainstream idea) and don't think that is what I have... I have no lesions, sores, boils, wounds, or anything of the sort, and no fibers protruding from anything.

Ruling out Morgellons.

I had read about the possibility of it being bed bugs (from reading sites like this online) so I tore my bedroom apart looking for signs of an infestation, and saw NOTHING. My mattress is brand new, the apartment I live in is also pretty close to brand new. Never the less, not a thing was found, searched mattress, box spring, walls near bed, everything.

Ruled out bed bugs.

The only other thing I've seen it could be is Restless Leg Syndrome. NOT sure about that, but I did hear that that sensation in the legs is a symptom of that, and that in some cases, the skin crawling sensation can occur all over the body, not just the legs, and still be considered RLS.

Undecided about RLS possibility.

The only other things I have going on that MAY be related, is an upper back pain/numbness... unknown cause. Been going on for years though. No diagnosis.

So basically I'm out of ideas, and about to go insane. It's terrible at night not being able to sleep because of that feeling, and not being able to sleep with my girlfriend because I keep her awake with my constant moving around and itching...
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i have had this problem in the past and the only way to get rid of it is flea powder. theres a really strong flea powder thats sold at walmart in the pet isle. it by far took care of the problem years ago when i first had this issue and now that i move into a new apartment i run into this crap again. its a strong pet flea powder that works, also you have to use it around your house and wash your bedding with hot clorox thats safe for colors. as far as it being on your skin and crawling around you have to use either witch hazel or green rubbing alcohol to kill it on your body. its very tough to get it off you. not recomended but ive heard that the amonia content in windex helps kill this disgusting flea/ bed bug infestation. borax powder i hears is also usefull. my self im going to try to experiment with many things to find a cure for this crappy problem because i work night shift and i cant sleep because i get attacked while sleeping durring the day. ps. also put a clear bowl of water mixed with soap with a light above the center and see if it doesnt catch something
Helpful - 0
I'll be quick as I need to get back to cleaning:(   some things that will get rid of these disgusting freaky invisible bugs.   get a prescription for Permethrin Cream 5%.   other suggestions are tenting your house/ we've been bombing it but not working as of yet due to when we leave our home they are living on us  (the creapy things)   a natural and very good product is (look it up on line!)   Neem oil products, and try mixing it with Turmeric (a spice at your grocer) again, look it up on line -you can google Neem oil and Turmeric and do some reading on it/ they are harmless but supposed to do the job if you stay consistent with applying the paste, which I think I read like 3 - 5 days in a row.  my house has never looked so clean but too bad there is this disgusting invisible thing lurking to make me continue cleaning!!!  I'd like to give them my bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
Please.. Morgellons may be the cause
take a peek here and read the articles on this topic.
www.morgellonsfocus.com
***@****

Blessings
Pam
Helpful - 0
hi everyone

i was amaze that there's a topic like this.now knew that im not getting crazy.
because i feel itching everytime im resting at home. i cant sleep properly doctors cant explain my condition. i feel like theres some invi bug getting inside my skin, biting my skin and roaming all round my body. im carrying this feeling almost 7years.

first im thinking that it just insomnia then after 2years im trying to help my self out of this. but it failed. doctors cant help me. even faith healers. theres a time that im thinking someone cursing me. every night i rest i dont know what to do. "sorry for my english"

hope this topic will have more replies, for those people having this strage feeling. dont give up, just up on kickin xD
Helpful - 0
no one mentioned "Restless leg syndrome" yet - one of the symptoms is a strong feeling of a bug crawling underneath the skin - here is more research into the causes:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/restless-legs-syndrome/DS00191
Helpful - 0
Spraying windex, pyrethrins, permethrins, lime&sulphur,etc is a waste of time.  Just spraying water has the same effect on this "thing"!  Moisture just quietens them down for a while.

Is it not a bug but some kind of airborne bacteria???

If an expert tells you that it is shaky leg syndrome or any other type of personal illness, stop and think, does this happen all the time or only in the affected places?  If it is only in the affected places then discount any medical or psychological excuse.

For relief from the crawling try an antihistime, something like Zyrtec.  It gave me great relief.

Still on the trail of the cure for this thing, next is to sprinkle borax on the carpets and leave for a week & repeat.  Someone had success with this so it is worth a try.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community