Dermatology Community
53.5k Members
Avatar universal

Irregular Facial Lump

I woke up one morning with a large lump  between my eyes, down towards the bridge, and moving towards my left eye into the corner between my eyelid and nose. I went to the doctor and they put me on heavy duty antibiotics and called it an abcess without even examining it by any other means than looking at my face from a distance. Now I have looked at many images and mine is very different. First of all it is irregular in shape. Lumpy and oblong would be the most accurate description. It is not extremely red and infected looking. it does not have a head. I have been taking these antibiotics for a few days now assuming a head would form and the size start decreasing as the doctor said it should. In fact it seems bigger  but with less swelling of the surrounding areas such as my forehead and left eyelid probably due to ibuprofen. The lump itself is painful especially in the corner of the eye socket. Whether its just from the location or the actual bump i can't distinguish but it hurts like hell.  I have been having constant pressure behind my eyes and headaches since its formation. I am 29, a little overweight but relatively healthy however i do smoke cigarettes. My biggest concerns is that its some sort of tumor and that has me horrified. Please, any info would be appreciated.
2 Responses
Avatar universal
An abscess need not have a typical round shape.The acute presentation is very much in favour of abscess but may need Incision and drainage if it does not settle.
563773 tn?1374250139
It is not a tumor,so rest assured.It seems like boils or furuncle. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Hair follicles that are blocked by greasy creams, petroleum jelly, or similar products are more vulnerable to infection. Bacterial skin infections can be spread by shared cosmetics or washcloths, close human contact, or by contact with pus from a boil or carbuncle.

Apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean.Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head.Take some over the counter pain reliever and keep on taking the antibiotics.If it forms a head the it needs to be drained.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions