This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Irritated under eye skin

A few days ago the skin under one of my eyes was quite itchy and over the course of the day I rubbed/scratched it repeatedly. It wasn't until that night when I looked in the mirror that I noticed the area had become red, inflamed and it was peeling a little. It also looks wrinkled. I am now worried that I've caused permanent damage to this delicate skin. SInce then I've been moisturising and avoiding touching the area. However there is very little improvement. The only changes have been that it isn't itchy anymore and the redness while still there is now a little darker in colour, it's like a dark circle on one side of my face. I am so worried that I've caused lasting damage to my skin. Will this heal? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? How long before my skin returns to normal?  
Read more
Discussion is closed
Follow - 3
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1760307 tn?1313521269
Dear Ally123456,

Thank you for posting your query,

With the description that you provide, I think that you have developed a dermatitis under your eye and hence it is peeling and red .

It is good that you have started using a moisturizer there. Along with this you can also use a mild topical steroid cream to speed up the healing process. You can also use an antibiotic cream such as gentamicin on the affected area. But since these are not OTC (Over the counter) drugs, I would advise you to consult a dermatologist.

To get relief from the itching, you can take an oral anti-histaminic tablet such as cetrizine. Usually such dermatitis is superficial and does not lead to any permanent mark or scar. Complete recovery may take 7 to 10 days.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Bharat Chawda
Discussion is closed